Best Rated threads in Garden Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Help! Bird of Paradise parasites
We have an indoor Bird of Paradise plant about 5 feet tall. We got it only couple of months ago. Just couple of days ago i've noticed a small segmented worm under the plant. The worm is about half an...
2
2

Little Yellow Eggs found in plant compost! Pictures attached
Im repotting a house plant into a larger pot and im using some compost from another dead house plant that I throw out 6 months ago. However ive found little yellow eggs, the size of pepper corns in...
5
5

Stapelia tips shriveling
I have a Stapelia variegata whose leaves are turning yellow and shriveling away to nothing at the tips. Only the last half-inch or so of each leaf is affected, the remainder of the leaves are still...
6
6

Indoor Plants and Burning Candles
I have 6 different (palm, dieffenbachia, peace lily, philodendrons) indoor plants in my living area and recently I started burning scented candles in this area. All seemed to be fine until I noticed...
8
8

Pomegranate tree, evergreen or deciduous?
Hi, folks. Gardening in San Jose, California -- USDA zone 9b, Sunset zone 16. My wife would like to add a pomegranate tree in our front yard. There used to be a Deodar cedar in the spot where we would...
2
2

ID flies/bees on garlic chive flowers?
I have garlic chives growing in my garden in Cleveland, Ohio. Those flowers taste so good. I went out to pick some to eat yesterday, and I seen what looked like small flies or bees all over the...
6
6

Oak tree early sexing?
I planted a bunch of acorns in pots and they are now about 8" tall. Is there a way to determine the sex of an oak tree at this early stage? Female oak trees drop acorns, and I'd like to avoid this. Do...
12
12

snow damaged new zealand flax? fix?
have a couple of very big nz flax plants got snowed on this week and a lot of the exterior leaves got leveled got the snow off them asap but they are still down any thoughts about them, the leaves,...
8
8

Tree smells like vinegar
I have an old oak tree (probably as old as my house--81 years old)...I'm trying to treat it well so that it will last even longer...today I was pulling ivy off the trunk and I noticed that there was a...
2
2

How to kill a pyracantha!
I have had an apple tree that has been growing nicely from seed on the border of my garden. Its 10 years old and is only a meter high. It hasnt been looked after very well but I am in the process of...
6
6