Best Rated threads in Garden Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

broken amaryllis
Similar question for you. One of my cats knocked my amaryllis over and all the flowering stems were broken in the fall. (It literally just began to bloom 2 days ago.) Is it possible, with support, to...
3
3

Bacteria on "seasoned" cast iron pans
LOL
7
7

Problems removing leaves from gravel?
Hi Garden Banter Members, My name is Ross Whillis and I am a product designer. Recently I have been working on a product which removes leaves from gravel without removing or displacing the gravel. The...
12
12

Allen Pro 43 Brushcutter
I have just inherited the above and can't work out wherethe controls are to start it-would be grateful if anyone could point me to a sit where I could get a user manual or advice on starting...
1
1

Tulips
I'm considering planting Tulip bulbs. How many should I plant in a plot 2 foot by 5 foot?
2
2

Charity Plant Stall
Hi Please can anyone help with ideas for a plant stall we have just decided to have at our School charity fundraiser at the end of March?! I am new to gardening and just don't know what might be...
6
6

Strange pods dropping from my magnolia
I live in northern New York State (just north of Albany) and my magnolia (a M. soulangeana or M. stellata, I think; it has pink and white flowers in the spring) is dropping strange looking pods. They...
9
9

Problems with Mccullough Trimmac 210 petrol strimmer
Hi, I bought a Mccullough Trimmac 210 petrol strimmer off eBay. The owner said it hadn't had much use in recent times so I changed the fuel. It said to use 40-1 so I put 100ml of oil,which I got free...

How to kill crepe myrtly water shoots?
Anyone ever use or heard of using Naphthalene Acetic Acid? I had to dig through some roots of a large crepe myrtle a couple years ago and have numerous water shoots coming up in that area of the...
7
7

Getting creeping fig to stick!
Hi All. I just put some creeping fig on my stucco balcony by gluing the little plastic hooks to my balcony and typing the creeping fig. The hooks are anywhere from 4 inches to 8 inches away from each...
5
5

Are Canna bulbs safe from Squirrels (2023 Update)
I'm planning to grow a bed of Canna next year. However there are lot of squirrels and skunks around my house. Is this a bad idea ? I can try to plant the bulbs deeper and mixed with chilly...
4
4

California Lilac looks like it is dying :(
My cal. lilac is turning brownish. I have never had to water it during the summer and it has always been very green a lovely all season long. This year it is starting to turn a brownish color and...
17
17

rototilling rocky soil
The soil my yard sits on it extremely rocky. It's very nice soil, all glacial till and stream bed composition, but more rocks than I care to count. Digging a hole is an exercise in futility as I will...
37
37

How to hide well head?
We have a well head that sticks out of a hill in a very rocky place where I have not been able to get anything to grow. A neighbor bought one of those plastic fake rocks to cover theirs, but they are...
10
10

Elephant garlic - 3 questions
Got some more elephant garlic bulbs today, 3 questions I have about them. Some of the blubs have been vut, maybe with a trowel when dug up. Can they be planted or will they rot and are best eaten now?...

What is the best cherry tomato plant for growing in pots on balcony?
My balcony is south-facing, lots of sun all day. If climate is an issue, I live in Montreal, Canada. I would like to know which kind of cherry tomato plant would be best suited to growing in pots on...
2
2

Dying wintergreen
I have a pot of wintergreen that was started by seed and has been growing fine for several years. The plant is full size and was always growing robustly (look just like the ones I have outside year...

how to persuade thunbergia to bloom?
Hello, For the last three years I have grown orange thunbergia (sometimes called black-eyed Susan VINE) in a hanging pot. The first year, it bloomed like crazy. The last two years, it barely blooms at...
6
6

How do Nurseries Force Blooming?
Now that I'm more familiar with how plants grow in my own garden, and have started quite a few plants from seed I'm much more aware that the plants I see in the nurseries are flowering well before...
2
2

How to Kill a Tree
There are a couple trees on unkept city property adjacent to my house. The city does not maintain this area at. A few years ago they ojected to me cutting down a few trees even though they don't mow...
10
10