What is the best cherry tomato plant for growing in pots on balcony?

My balcony is south-facing, lots of sun all day. If climate is an issue, I live in Montreal, Canada. I would like to know which kind of cherry tomato plant would be best suited to growing in pots on my balcony. Thank you for your input!

Reply to
SharkMan BMW

There's a guy on my local hort group who has Red Robin and Yellow Canary cherry tomatoes growing in 5" pots, although he says he normally puts them in 12" pots. He has other varieties of dwarves as well. He apparently started the seeds January 1 and they are producing now - he says they normally take about 100 days, but they got slowed down by some cloudy weather. They might be heritage tomatoes so I don't know how readily available they are.

I've tried Sweet 100's and Sugar snack in much larger pots - probably about 15" wide and the same deep. Sugar snack was better producer, but I preferred the taste of the Sweet 100's. I've also tried sweet

1000's. They grew well, but it got cold early that year and I didn't get much out of them.

Dora

Reply to
bungadora

On of the best small tomatoes I found for containers is called Florida Petite. It is very early (40 days) and grows to about 8 or 9 inches. The fruits are about 1 - 1 1/2 inches. Another good one (prefers hanging baskets) is Florida Basket. It is not as early (70 days) but only grows to about 6 inches. It has 1 inch fruits. Here is a picture of it from my garden:

slightly larger plant is Red Robin. Plants grow about 8 to 12 inches and the fruits are 1 - 1 1/4 inches. It is also an early (55 days) variety.

If you are looking for tomatoes plants that have larger sizes tomatoes try Patio F Hybrid. The plants grow to about 2 feet and the fruit is about 3 - 4 inches. This variety is 70 days.

Reply to
Bill R