What is this plant called?

I saw this shrub in the neighborhood. Anyone knows the name and can I buy it at hone depot? Here is a picture:

Thanks

Reply to
dchou4u

It would make a lot of sense to either contact your cooperative extension, or bring the digicam to HD with you.

I saw this shrub in the neighborhood. Anyone knows the name and can I buy it at hone depot? Here is a picture:

Thanks

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There is a website that has an excellent listing of nearly every plant that exists as well a full colored photos and descriptions, locations etc. I dont recall the URL, but just start to search for something like "plant identification".

Reply to
generic

From the pic, it's hard to tell the size. And no info is given as to the geographical location. But it looks like a small azalea to me. If so, HD and just about any nursery will have them.

Reply to
trader4

I know, I know, "Green bush with pretty red flowers"! I was curious so I found some sites with a lot of pictures and I had no idea that there were so many different varieties of landscape shrubs. I did a search for "Flowering Shrubs Identification, Pictures" and there are a lot of sites on the subject. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Looks like an azalea to me. They are blooming here right now.

Last place I'd buy plants is Home Depot. You'll get better locally grown at a nursery.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Post in rec.gardens. I'm sure someone there will know.

Reply to
Frank

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com formulated the question :

Looks like Bougainvillea to me. comes in a variety of purple redish colours.

John G

Other than the color of the flower, I don't see anything in your pic that is similar to the plant pic given. The leaves are radically different, the stamen in the given plant is single, the Bougainvillea has a triple stamen that also looks different, etc Where the plant is would sure help rule out a lot of plants too.

Reply to
trader4

Sure looks like a climbing rose...are the leaves kind of jagged? You can buy climbing roses anywhere, but that includes hundreds of varieties and colors. I would knock on the door and ask the owner about it, unless you just want a "red rose". It sure ain't bouganvillea....it is early for roses to bloom in midwest....

Reply to
Norminn

Some might like to spend more to get lower quality.

Just stopped at the local nursery yesterday. As an example HD has crappy looking tomato plants for $3.50/each. Her single tomato plants are grown right on site and look really healthy and are $1/each. The four packs are $3. She has at least 30 varieties on hand including many heirloom varieties.

Reply to
George

I just don't see how HD and Lowes can sell the tomatoes for $ 3 or so each. Several other places around here sell tomatoes in groups of 3 to 4 plants for around that price. As you said, they usually look beter also.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Because yuppies buy them and don't care. If you figure out the economics of it, with a lot of the prices you see today, there isn't much upside. Meaning if you factor in that you have to actually grow the vegs, some die due to disease, insects, animals, etc, what you wind up with, you may be better off buying the vegs at the local farm market.

Even at most of the local garden shops here in NJ, the price of veg plants has gone way up. City folks moving in and they see something for $3 and think it's fine because they wan't to be gardeners. And actually, it is OK if you just want a couple of them. But if you're planning on buying a variety of stuff, dozen of them, etc, then I agree, you'd have to be nuts to pay some of these prices.

Reply to
trader4

the economics of it, with a lot of the prices you see today, there isn't much upside. Meaning if you factor in that you have to actually grow the vegs, some die due to disease, insects, animals, etc, what you wind up with, you may be

It is often cheaper to buy at a farm market. Trick is finding the good vegs. There are two kinds. The ones to sell and the ones to eat. It is often difficult to find a good tomato if you don't grow it yourself. The store bought ones have been engineered to have tough skin so they can be shipped easy. I like a good tomato, but seldom buy one at the stores as they are more like red cardboard.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

A larger, more expensive tomato plant may be ideal for someone in an apartment who wants to grow one plant in a pot. OTOH, I just bought 36 tomato plants other day for first veg garden....intentionally a lot of Roma for salsa and cherry tomatoes for gr'sons. Sharing with son and his family. Lots of spinach, chard, pod peas....yumm....

Just bought a growing water lily for the pond, from a pet shop, and apparently a frog hitched a ride. 7 Koi, the largest about 12", survived the first winter in my care, and I survived my first spring of pond cleaning and plumbing. Things are looking good.

Reply to
Norminn

We have visited all of the large and small sellers here of growing plants, and all have had single, larger tomato plants as well as small flats of 3 or 4 plants. Everyone is taking good care of plants so far, but when the weather get hot out on the concrete or blacktop where the keep plants, they will suffer. I got a good deal on frazzled looking hosta last novermber for our new home...they are doing great, and after hacking with a shovel 4 plants have become a dozen :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Somehow, amongst many people, HD, Lowes, etc have a reputation of having the lowest prices on everything you will ever need. No need to go elsewhere. I know many people that go there as the first and usually the only stop to buy home goods and appliances.

Fact is, local dealers often have better selection, equal or lower prices, better service.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The types of fruit and vegetable plants and seeds that nurseries are allowe d to sell are of the inferior quality. They are not allowed to sell the com mercial quality because of patent restrictions. If you want good quality yo u need to go to the supermarket and plant your own from what you would buy to eat.

Reply to
recyclebinned

It's a rose of some type.

Reply to
Home Guy

Most people have absolutely NO idea how many more varieties of plants exist . They just assume that places like HD, Armstrong, OSH or Lowes have it all . The truth is it?s just easier to feed the cattle the same hay than to w orry about providing variety.

Reply to
recyclebinned