What is this plant called?

Great marketing. Do you remember the last time you turned on the TV and didn't see an ad by hd telling you how wonderful they are?

A young couple moved in next door last year. We were discussing landscaping. They were all set to go to hd (see above). I mentioned why not try the local garden center. She said they easily bought 4x the plants they could have bought at hd for the same cost and the quality is so much better.

Reply to
George

wed to sell are of the inferior quality. They are not allowed to sell the c ommercial quality because of patent restrictions. If you want good quality you need to go to the supermarket and plant your own from what you would bu y to eat.- Hide quoted text -

That's about as dumb as dumb gets. Just the opposite is true. There are a huge variety of seeds and plants available. For example, with tomatoes, you can buy everything from heirloom varieties to the latest hybrids. Just look at a seed catalog. At the supermarket, you get commercial varieties that have been bred to ship well, have a long shelf life, with taste being compromised as a result. They are picked before they are ripe, then ripened with ethylene gas. Who would want to grow that instead of any of the varieties from say Burpee?

Reply to
trader4

*It looks like it came from a rose family. Check out FarmerSeed.com and eBurgess.com
Reply to
John Grabowski

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote in news:c6f148d1-8891-46ec-93e0- snipped-for-privacy@e13g2000yqp.googlegroups.com:

My wife, a Purdue University-certified Master Gardener, says it's "the old-fashioned bush type of rose -- it probably smells nice and has plenty of thorns."

Reply to
Doug Miller

Norminn wrote in news:1 _ednUVqqczPzRvMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

The OP's IP address puts him in Irvine, California.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It's an azalea.

Reply to
dadiOH

Decades ago, for a dollar or two I bought via mailorder some tomatoes (seeds, it turned out to be) in 4 2-inch quare plastic "pots", filled with vermiculite. I couldn't even see the seeds but I watered them and got hundreds of seedlings. Donated 15 of them to a community yard sale, and put the rest in the window facing east. Grew to be 6 feet tall, with roots coming out of the holes in the pot (into the corrugated clear plastic meat tray that meat was sold in, that I kept filled with water.)

Cherry tomatoes, so juicy that when I bit into one, it splattered on the wall 6 feet away. And delicious.

Reply to
micky

to sell are of the inferior quality. They are not allowed to sell the commercial quality because of patent restrictions. If you want good quality you need to go to the supermarket and plant your own from what you would buy to eat.- Hide quoted text -

I agree with you except for this sentence. The poster probably wouldn't pick them early or use ethylene gas, so he'd get a better result than the supermarket.

Reply to
micky

Looks like just a rose bush. I would venture a guess it's the so called "knockout roses" that have become popular in the last couple of years. Actually, I think it's a brand name and/or a trademark but won't be long before we'll call any disease resistant rose "knockout rose". These are supposedly indestructible and can withstand anything Mother Nature (or a newb gardener) can throw at them. I have two of these and I think I almost succeeded to kill one ;) we'll see if it recovers this summer.

I don't know if HD sells it but every local nursery worth its name does. Perhaps it makes sense stepping outside of a big box store and supporting a local business.

Reply to
passerby

Looks like what they are calling "Knockout" Roses, bloom prolifically and are very heat tolerant

ChairMan

Yes It does appear to be knockout roses. Thank you everyone for your input. Where can I buy them in the irvine ca area?

Reply to
dchou4u

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote in news:2c3b0d7f-1061-4aed- snipped-for-privacy@w8g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

Doug Miller

In Indiana, they are a major display item...never heard of them until I started shopping for garden plants. I bought one rose this year, just for filling space in shrub/flower beds....I hope to concentrate by Japanese beetle battle in the vegetable garden :o) I've grown some nice roses if you ignore the holes in petals from JB. :o(

Reply to
Norminn

to sell are of the inferior quality. They are not allowed to sell the commercial quality because of patent restrictions. If you want good quality you need to go to the supermarket and plant your own from what you would buy to eat.

I think most (all) commercial tomatoes are hybrids so it is a total crap shoot what the result of propagating seeds from vegetables purchased in the supermarket might be. And even if successful you will have a tomato designed for its industrial qualities not taste.

The best tomatoes are the commonly called "heirloom" varieties that typically taste great but lack all of the other qualities desired for industrial tomatoes such as thicker skin, better appearance and more uniform size. You can easily purchase heirloom seeds and plants.

Reply to
George