How to Kill a Tree

There are a couple trees on unkept city property adjacent to my house. The city does not maintain this area at. A few years ago they ojected to me cutting down a few trees even though they don't mow or even pick up trash and litter in this area and the trees were trash trees. Before they found out that I had cut them down I had already replanted with Cherry tree and other attractive trees.

There are still a couple trees that are shading my backyard vineyard. I believe they are black locust. Is there an easy way to kill these trees? They are at least 40 feet tall and probably close to 8 to 10 inches in diameter. I would like to turn them into woodpeckers heaven - dead trees.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

city does not maintain this area at. A few years ago they ojected to me cutting down a few trees even though they don't mow or even pick up trash and litter in this area and the trees were trash trees. Before they found out that I had cut them down I had already replanted with Cherry tree and other attractive trees.

believe they are black locust. Is there an easy way to kill these trees? They are at least 40 feet tall and probably close to 8 to 10 inches in diameter. I would like to turn them into woodpeckers heaven - dead trees.

If I were you I'd be careful about vandalizing trees on public property by hammering copper wire into them like nails or any other techniques.

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

please be careful.

Reply to
Vivek.M

You can girdle the tree, that is, cut away the bark _and the brown stuff under it_ around the tree, about six inches worth, and it will die in a year or two.

Black Locust can heal, so monitor and cut it away again if necessary. Some people suggest girdling in two places to discourage it. If it puts out leaves next spring, it's time to girdle again.

A spoke shaver is handy for the purpose.

Black locust also will send up shoots all over the place for a while.

Wildlife likes the dead tree, by the way.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

Despite it being felony(at least it is in NJ),you be realize that you will have dead trees that may fall on your property and possibly your house. Bob

There are still a couple trees that are shading my backyard vineyard. I believe they are black locust. Is there an easy way to kill these trees? They are at least 40 feet tall and probably close to 8 to 10 inches in diameter. I would like to turn them into woodpeckers heaven - dead trees.

Reply to
The Other Funk

Take a 3/4 inch drill and drill a hole at a 45 degree angle down near the base. Fill it with salt and refill it when the salt is absorbed. Alternatively ring the bark, ie take a strip of bark off the tree about

1 inch wide all the way around. Do it low enough and the grass will hide it. May take awhile to die but it has never failed me when I've done either.

Black locust is considered a desirable wood for fence posts by some people in the NE US. My FIL in MD loved the stuff for that use.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

One copper nail.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Drive a copper nail into the trunk, it will do in any tree in short

Use a nail set to pget it below the cambium surface. Ifyu yu do not have a copper nail, drive a regular 16 penny spike into the tree, near the buttress roots or low to ground, pull nail out, and tap in a piece of 14 or 12 gauge copper wire (sold type with insilation removed), then just sort of smush hole back closed to make it un noticeable. For such a cheap pest tree its unlikely they wold spend much or nay time at all looking it over to see why it died and would never see that nail hole, or the copper inside it....2" long piece will do it.

Reply to
Köi-Lö

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 22:30:20 -0400 in , "Paul E. Lehmann" graced the world with this thought:

city does not maintain this area at. A few years ago they ojected to me cutting down a few trees even though they don't mow or even pick up trash and litter in this area and the trees were trash trees. Before they found out that I had cut them down I had already replanted with Cherry tree and other attractive trees.

believe they are black locust. Is there an easy way to kill these trees? They are at least 40 feet tall and probably close to 8 to 10 inches in diameter. I would like to turn them into woodpeckers heaven - dead trees.

Gee, it's really hard to believe the city would object to you cutting down trees that don't belong to you...

Reply to
bizbee

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:21:15 GMT in , "The Other Funk" graced the world with this thought:

with any luck, this is what will happen.

Reply to
bizbee

They (The City) don't seem to object to old tires, used oil tanks, rear axles of trucks, old air conditioners, other trash of assorted flavours being placed on that same property that is overgrown with invasive weeds. They also don't object to the city draining the municipal pool on this piece of land and also routing street rainfall runoff here also. The original poster said he replanted with other trees. Since you do not know the particular situation, perhaps you should withhold judgement.

Gee, it's really hard to believe the city would object to you cutting down trees that don't belong to you...

Reply to
Dionysus