Best Rated threads in Garden Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

KIKUYU GRASS
I live in Los angeles county. A few years ago a strange grass began to invad my lawn and someone said it was kikuyu(sp). It laces the top of the lawn with long stron runners, up to four feet long and...

Heating Pads and Peat Pots
I was hoping to tap the experience of those of you who use heating pads for your seedlings...after years of having a great spot next to the furnace to start seedlings, I've moved to a new house...
2
2

Cat urine killing english boxwood hedge!
I planted 35 boxwoods that line my walkway to my porch. I have since replaced 10 of these because cats are urinating on them and killing them. I've considered the Scarecrow "motion activated...
5
5

is it posible to plant maple trees in Mexico?
I live in central Mexico in the state of Michoacan with a USDA zone of 9 or 10. I would like to plant some maple trees here but I'm not familiar with species that might survive here. Does anybody have...
9
9

Morning Glories climbing power lines
My morning glories found a way to climb up the telephone and onto the power lines. Should I be concerned about this? I have 2 pics of the situation at: These are being grown out of a container.
9
9

mulch against concrete block house?
Hello again, I've searched and searched I guess theres no solid answer. I'm in florida is mulch in the beds surrounding the house advisable or not? (the house is entirely surrounded by a 3 foot bed)...
4
4

Hauling Uphill
Hi. We'll be cutting down trees, removing overgrown brush, etc. from about 4000 sq. ft. of our downsloping lot. I've rented a large green waste container, but can anyone suggest an efficient,...
22
22

Can someone please explain "Propagation Rights?"
I'd like to know how corporations can now actually trademark PLANTS - THINGS THAT GROW - and SUE people who grow them. To give an example... apparently if you try to get seed out of a calibrachoa...
12
12

Scythe
I've just bought a scythe from Lee Valley Tools in Canada and I would like to use it and care for it properly. Unfortunately there were no instructions provided with it, assembly or otherwise. There...
10
10

Flies That Live in Ant Hills? Go Away!
No they're not ground hornets, but they are pesty. Their holes look just like little ant hills with about a 1/4 inch hole. The hills are about 3" in diameter. Anyone know what these are and how to get...
3
3

moldy grass clippings..
Hi all! I was saving some grass clippings for mulch and discovered this morning that they were very wet and moldy. (yes, lesson learned) I am assuming that it is NOT a good idea to use moldy grass...
11
11

What causes Splitting butternut squash ?
During the summer and fall, a couple of my butternut squash developed splits in the them, Most of the splits were around the top near about 2" below the stem, Other splits also happened vertically up...
3
3

Minimum Spacing Between Plants in Photinia Hedge
What is the minimum spacing you can use between plants in a hedge made of Photinia Red Robin? I want to be aggressive about this and I want to maximize the density of the hedge. I am willing to have...
12
12

Rabbits Eating My Asparagus
YES, rabbits will indeed eat asparagus! I just put a new asparagus bed in this spring. I planted one year crowns only to discover that rabbits are nipping off the young asparagus shoots as fast as...
3
3

How to transplanting Pineapple broom trees
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum so please be gentle. I am also a very novice gardener so be even more gentle. We moved into our house just under 2 years ago, we have an acre at the back to try to...
1
1

Replace engine on a BCS rototiller review
I have had a BCS rototiller for about 10 years now. I bought it used and it was about 15+ years old when I purchased it. It had an ACME 8hp Italian engine when I bought it (Wind the rope around the...
1
1

RoundUp and Monkey grass
I have thoroughly sprayed RoundUp onto monkey grass that is growing out-of-bounds. I have already sprayed it 6-7 times in the past 2 weeks, yet it is still green. The last 3 times I mixed the RoundUp...
35
35

Wasp Spray Dangers in the Veggies?
Several weeks ago I was getting the veggie garden ready and hit a large colony of ants. I know that ants are *supposed* to be harmless, but... last year the mound some ants dug hammered several of my...
4
4

Re: Need recommendation for new engine for Troy-Bilt Horse Tiller
Do you mean that you broke the block, smashed the carburetor, or stripped the manifold bolts, If the latter two it may pay you to repair. I prefer Briggs myself, they are readily available and the...
4
4

helping a sickly, spindly Clematis
I have just uncovered a poor, sickly-looking Clematis growing up the sidewall of my little garden and I hope someone can help me make it more robust. The plant has just a single "stem" measuring about...
3
3