Cat urine killing english boxwood hedge!

I planted 35 boxwoods that line my walkway to my porch. I have since replaced 10 of these because cats are urinating on them and killing them. I've considered the Scarecrow "motion activated sprinkler" but this is a walkway to my front door. Is there any other type of boxwood or am I out of luck???

Please help! -mike

Reply to
mike

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (mike) expounded:

Mike, what makes you think cats are killing your boxwoods? Because you smell cat urine? If that's why, you need to know that boxwoods

*do* smell like cat urine. They're stinky as hell, which is why I don't have any in my yard. My mother, an herbalist, has a nice garden with rows of them. Phew!

Please be sure they are getting adequate water. You don't say where you are. Another thought is are they hardy enough for your area? Some boxwoods are very tender and brown out easily with a combination of dry, cold winds and dry soil.

Reply to
Ann

How do you know it is cat urine doing them in?

There is nothing toxic in it and given the amount produced by each cat, unless you live in cat central with hundreds of them queueing up all night, I seriously doubt there is enough nitrogenous chemicals in there to over-fertilise one plant much less 10.

I would be looking for an alternate explanation.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I have to agree. I have four cats and I use their litter (compressed pine sawdust) as a much for my boxwoods and they are thriving.

DK

Reply to
D Kat

English Boxwood has a scent quite similar to cat urine, are you perhaps smelling that and drawing the wrong conclusions?

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

I agree. I've smelled it myself. Reminds me of Old Spice.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney