cat urine under deck

Anyone have experience removing the strong stench of cat urine from under a deck?

I've noticed stray cats in our yard the last couple of months and hadn't thought much of it. They were passing through, no big deal. Big mistake. Recently, our house started reeking of cat urine. Turns out we've been having a couple of these cats staying under the deck and it smells like a litter box. Very bad. Knock you on your ass bad. They must have pissed all over the house, marking territory, because it reeks inside the house too. Back door and front door. And this is winter with the doors closed up tight! Incredible.

Right now there's snow banks out there but I was hoping I could douse the area with chemicals because I'm sure the smell is only going to get worse when Spring hits. Anyone run into a chemical solution that worked effectively (heard this is one of the worse smells to try to get rid of).

Reply to
denaman

I've had great luck getting rid of dead rodent odor using this stuff:

I have no idea how well it would work in your situation, but it claims to work outside.

Good luck.

we like this one:at

buy the gallons of concentrate

3UR39 Deodorant, Size 1 Gallon, Cherry/Almond, Concentrate 1:64, Enzyme RAMSEY KIL-ODER CHERRY/ALMOND 1 Today $26.90 1170

on a concrete surface, the cheapest solution a quart of laundry bleach in a gallon garden sprayer, fill with water; but there are inhaling hazards, wind blows it around, and issues with damaging/discoloring your wood deck; vegetation, pet paws, and work clothes hazards.

Reply to
buffalobill

Perhaps you might consider a cage trap. If these are indeed "stray" cats, then they can be returned to their owners with a request that they be confined. (Either the cats or the owners as you prefer :) )

If these are feral cats, then they should be delivered to the nearest animal shelter for humane disposal.

It's worked for me.

Reply to
cavedweller

Get rid of the strays first, then worry about the smell.

I think the smell issue will take care of itself pretty quickly after the strays are gone.

Reply to
Dan Espen

If they can't access the area they will go elsewhere. Hardware cloth may be a good choice.

I agree.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Get yourself a good .22 rifle and start dropping the sonsabitches. A Marlin

60 or 10/22 Ruger would be perfect. Then figure out what to do about the stench.
Reply to
J.A. Michel

My thoughts exactly! Aguila makes a round that you'll never hear but in won't cycle in a semi auto........

Reply to
Al

Alright, thanks guys.

I'm going to run out this afternoon and see if I can find one of the solutions mentioned above. In the meantime, I've boarded up any crevice or hole that would allow a cat to crawl under. Still have to figure out what to do about the cats. Yesturday, I was chasing one through backyards with a shovel. I'm much faster than I thought because I keapt up pretty well, which was amazing considering I was wearing big boots and the snow was shin deep. But when all was said and done it wasn't an effective way to deal with the problem, and an even worse way to meet the neighbors. As for shooting, I'm not sure about the local police department's position on discharing firearms in town. On the plus side, I haven't seen the cats prowling around yet today so maybe the shovel did the trick after all. Probably not.

Reply to
denaman

(snip)

Killing feral cats is pointless- another one just takes over the territory, and the supply is basically endless. In this weather, if you can rig up a freeze-proof hose, and soak it a couple of times, it'll learn not to hang around.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

The supply is "basically endless" because pet owners don&#39;t take responsibility for spay & neuter. Much more education is required, and even so, there will always be selfish people, alas.

Meantime, you might call your local shelter and see if they will give/rent you a humane trap, or even bring one out. It couldn&#39;t hurt to ask. By continuing to let the feral cats breed, you multiply the problem geometrically.

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

I had the same question, my friend told me the smell will not ever goaway if cats keep urinating there. You need to discourage them from returning. I used mothballs under the deck.

Once I was able to reduce the visits from the cats, it seems that nature makes its own cleaner. Bateria, rain, sun, etc, seemed to get rid of the urine smell quickly for me.

The only perm solution for me, seems to get rid of the cats.

tom @

Just Joshin

What works is &#39;catch, neuter, and release&#39;, but that takes funds nobody has. Absent that, nature abhors a vacum, and the only population control is carrying capacity of the area. Humane trap is meaningless if the shelter just puts them down anyway. It&#39;s like sweeping a beach- no matter how many you cart off, there will always be more.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

That was my point, if I didn&#39;t make it clear -- get the shelter to put them down as humanely as possible.

Reply to
aspasia

About three years ago, a Michigan state legislator proposed a bill for an "open hunting season" on feral cats.

About the same time, the NRA had its annual convention in Houston. Appearing at the convention&#39;s Glock booth was R. Lee Emery of "Full Metal Jacket" fame. (

)

I mentioned the proposed legislation to Lee then told him I was putting together a Celebrity Cat-Call tape. Would he be interested in saying the line: "Here, kitty-kitty" for the tape?

He looked up from his autographing, stared at me for a moment, and said: "That is the most f***ed-up idea I have EVER heard."

Oh well.

Reply to
HeyBub

pm, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

Not so pointless. Last time we were infested (about 5 years ago), we disposed of nine. Now it&#39;s only the neighbourhood pets that are around, but I like the water idea for them......

Reply to
cavedweller

If you can&#39;t eliminate the cats put something under the deck area that cats don&#39;t like. For example, they don&#39;t like stepping on chicken wire. Also they don&#39;t like the herb rue. After the cats are gone, the smell will go away. You can spread some agricultural lime over the area to help.

Reply to
Phisherman

I don&#39;t know how to get rid of such a smell except time and ventilation. I think you should be able to exclude the cats from under the deck with a lattice perhaps reinforced with wire. Then maybe put a big fan down there to bring in fresh air and remove the old.

I live in the sticks and these neighbors of mine allow these half-wild cats to live and breed in an old unused trailer house, they might feed them occasionally. I think it kind of stinks myself but I dont&#39; say anything cause It&#39;s not my business.

Once I found a dead cat under my house when I was working under there and it freaked me out. It was stiff as a board. I asked the neighbor if she had one like that and she said no but I doubt if she even knows how many or what king of cats she has out there. It just sucks.

Occasionally one will stray onto my place and my dogs will chase them into a tree. A lot will shoot cats that wander onto their place and it is legal here. I won&#39;t shoot a cat myself.

I have two real nice cats who live inside with me and even sleep on the bed. They go outside if they want but they like it inside quite well. One time I put up a post in the cat lovers group and they flamed the hell out of me!

The real cat lovers don&#39;t ever let theirs outside but so far it&#39;s working for me. Here&#39;s a real cool pic of my one cat, Donny.

Lawrence

How do you feel about people who have bird feeders?

The worst are those gob-smocked hummingbirds!

Wring their feathered necks if I could catch them.

Spread warts, they do.

Reply to
HeyBub

Would casting a light layer of Lime under the deck work.....?

Perhaps, Ammonia and water mixture.......?

-- Oren

I have not failed. I&#39;ve just found 10,000 ways that won&#39;t work. Thomas A. Edison

Reply to
Oren