Repair parts for vintage traveling sprinkler (2023 Update)

I have a traveling cast-iron sprinkler that looks like it was made in the 1950s or 60s (maybe earlier).

It works well, but the main gear that is driven by the spinning sprinkler arms is nylon and it is wearing thin.

Back in the 70s in Sacramento, I remember the small hardware stores used to carry repair parts -- gears, seals, nozzles, etc.

I'm in Atlanta now, and I still really like this thing. It is fascinating to have a tool like this that has been working for hundreds of hours every year for probably half a century.

Anyway, where can I get parts for this thing? It says Crestline Sprinkler on the wheels, but from the pics I have seen on eBay and other sources, it looks like the same model was made by Thompson and by L R Nelson many years ago.

I'll buy the whole old sprinkler if I have to just to get that gear. Or,.. maybe I'll have one of my machinist friends make the gear -- it is pretty simple. Maybe an existing gear can be modified, eh?

Thanks for any info.

Mel

Reply to
Mel

If it really is the same as the Nelson unit then you can buy repair parts for it here:

John McGaw

I have one of those old sprinklers too. It says Thompson on it, and it is not all enclosed like the Nelson.

The repair parts you refer to are for much newer sprinklers. The relics that Mel and I have are many decades old, I'll bet. Mine looks like eBay #7763298758.

need the gear that he talks about and whatever assortment of seals are necessary to keep the thing from leaking so badly.

Reply to
Lew

I need replacement parts for a Thompson sprinkler

Reply to
Robert Algueseva Jr

I have an old B-3 traveling sprinkler. It is missing one of the 9/64 round hole nozzles made of brass that screws onto the tip of the sprinkler arm. IF anyone knows where a person can buy these please let me know. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
John

I need the White Nylon Drive gear that has worn out for Kees Krawler

Reply to
J Chapter

You can buy a 1/8" MIP brass plug from Home Depot

and drill out the end with a 9/64" drill bit.

Reply to
Paul

What do you need? I sell both the impeller shafts and the thrust bearing and cork gasket. I'm on ebay as "pauls2134", but I can sell the parts cheaper outside of ebay.

Reply to
Paul

Lew - I can sell you those seals.

Reply to
Paul

paul somlo

or check out my ebay listings:

walkingsprinkler@gmail.com

I'll have more in stock very soon.

Reply to
walkingsprinkler@gmail.com

I need that 5 1/8" shaft for Thompson traveling sprinkler.

Reply to
j-dub

I sell the shaft for the Thompson on ebay:

Or you can buy it directly from me and save the ebay fees and tax - check out my website at walkingsprinklerparts.com, my email address is there.

Paul

Reply to
Paul S.