Traveling Sprinkler

Has anyone tried one of the traveling sprinklers that is of the hose reel type. I am looking at the Rapid Rain Model 860 by Mobile Irrigation Technologies. I saw it at

and am comparing it to Microrain. Seems to be a much better bang for the buck and its made here in the ole US of A

Reply to
AgMan

Yay for gadgets. Why fix what ain't broke? A good gear driven or impact sprinkler can do wonders. It probably works well when new, but probably quickly develops leaks, or develops problems. But your money, try it, report back to us what happens to it after a few months.

-S

Reply to
Snooze

no...

Travelng sprinkler can be very helpful to water a larger area than feasible with a single setting.

My father loves his Nelson traveling tractor sprinkler. He can start it on one side of the house and it travels to the back of the yard, across, then back along the other side. Takes all day, but he doesn't have to babysit it. Cheaper brands didn't last, but the Nelson keeps going and going... He's used it for a few years now. Don't know where he bought it or how much he paid, but I think it is one of these:

sylvan butler

"sylvan butler" wrote in message news:slrne10td0.boi.ZsdbUse1+noZs snipped-for-privacy@sdba64.internal

Why is he wasting all that water?

Reply to
Travis M.

Don't ass-u-me he is.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

"sylvan butler" wrote in message news:slrne172n9.9aa.ZsdbUse1+noZs snipped-for-privacy@sdba64.internal

I'm not assuming anything. If someone is watering a lawn/grass all day water is being wasted.

Reply to
Travis M.

My, aren't you the self-righteous know-it-all.

Except you apparently don't know that you are operating on 100% assumption.

How much water is being put down on the lawn during the watering? How much does it require for the area covered? Subtract the second from the first to calculate the waste. Time watering is meaningless by itself.

You don't know the size of the area nor the flow rate of the sprinkler nor the requirements of the landscaping beyond "lawn/grass." Hence you cannot know the amount of water being deposited relative to the needs of the landscaping being watered.

I'd give you an example with concrete numbers, but I get the feeling that would be a waste of time.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

"sylvan butler" wrote in message news:slrne1j54p.dvk.ZsdbUse1+noZs snipped-for-privacy@sdba64.internal

If someone is watering their lawn/grass in the summer just to keep it green they are wasting water. Let the grass/lawn go dormant in the summer and when it starts raining again the grass will green up.

Reply to
Travis M.

Around here, you can get a ticket < government fine > if you let your grass go brown in the summer from the code enforcement cops unless water rationing is declared.

Bill

-- Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Reply to
Bill

In Palmdale, Ca. you have to keep your lawns clean and watered and GREEN, it's in the city codes now. Glad I don't live there, I'm 35 miles north and use water in my flower garden, not on a lawn.

Reply to
Starlord

Then I guess it's time to attend some city/county council meetings and change the law.

Reply to
Travis M.

For non-natives, Palmdale is a dry area up in the High Desert.

I suppose the city code is to "keep property values up".

Wonder if the lawn police could detect if you just spray the lawn green?

Those Palmdale folks are prime candidates for xeriscaping!

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

Oh, now you assume everyone lives in your climate. That is a great "north of seattle, WA" plan. Not for me.

Around here if you do that you will end up with cheatgrass (classed as a noxious weed and you will be fined if you have it), bitterbrush, ragweed and various other things, not lawn.

You see, with only 12" annual precipitation, which occurs almost entirely november to march when grass is dormant because of cold, a lawn will not just "go dormant" in the dry season, it and the roots will entirely die and blow away before it rains.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

Reply to
presley

Probably so.

Most will not survive _any_ traffic with that little water, especially if the water is concentrated during the dormant season(s).

Buffalo grass specifically, is dormant nearly all year here. Too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer. It grows for a few weeks in the spring and fall and is brown the rest of the time. Also, most people object to the prickly seed burrs... I know my wife, kids and animals do. And if you think quackgrass runners are bad, buffalo isn't for you.

Many people already pay $40/week in lawncare. If that were to double because of water costs the landscape would most likely change.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

"sylvan butler" wrote in message news:slrne1ooav.l09.ZsdbUse1+noZs snipped-for-privacy@sdba64.internal

Since you are living in a very arid place you might do better with native plants.

Reply to
Travis M.

Not if one wants a lawn (as I do). The children need a place to play and the chickens like to eat the grass and bugs. The cow pasture also needs plenty of water to keep the grass green and bovines happy.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler