Gerbera Daisy Over Wintering

Hello All,

Zone 5 north of Boston here.... I have 8 Gerbera Daisies that I'm going to have to dig up and do something with for the winter. I don't think I could cover them w/enough mulch to survive a New England Winter. Should I dig 'em and pot 'em and store them in my garage? It doesn't get below freezing in there, it's where I keep my Japanese Maple every year for its dormancy period ... would the Gerberas like the same atmosphere?

Should I just make them houseplants for the winter, or would they prefer some sleepy time?

Thanks

Reply to
Catty One

I have never tried to leave them outside. I have tried overwintering them but they always get powdery mildew and I lose more than half. I have never had success with them from seeds so I just gave up and buy new ones in the spring. I am 5b

Reply to
Dana Schultz

Thanks. I know they wouldn't make it outside ... so I guess I'll dig 'em up before the first frost, plant them in some good soil and put 'em in the dark. Either way they have to be dug up so I might as well do it now before spring comes so I can just put something else in there.

Reply to
Catty One

I've over wintered Gerbers in my sun room the last two years here in Wis. The first year only half barely survived, but last year did really well and bloomed off and on all winter. It was well worth the effort to see those cheery red and yellow blooms in the dead of winter. They seem to always get some form of blight or something, but pulling off any leaves that begin turning yellow slows it down enough to keep them renewing with feeding.

I stuck them back in the ground this spring and they're still going strong. I'm trying to decide if I have enough room to pull them in again this winter, but probably will try.

Reply to
frinjdwelr