How do I kill soil?

I know it's the opposite of what people in this group are trying to achieve, but there is a small patch where I want just dirt to remain. No grass, weeds, nothing. I don't want to cover it up with any tarp or plastic. I just want it to remain as dirt. I've read products such as Roundup can kill what's there, but are uneffective after a week. Someone told me to mix salt into the soil. Will this work? Also, what kind of salt is best for this: table salt? rock salt?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
angel toledo

Why, and for how long?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

You could use a "weed barrier cloth". It would be buried just under the surface and prevent weeds from breaking through or getting established if they grow above. You could cover it with something else (bark mulch, gravel) instead of just "dirt".

[...] I've read products such as

I don't think mixing salt into the soil will work unless you live in a desert area. Sooner or later (probably sooner) the rain is going to wash the salt away.

Paulo

Reply to
Paulo Castello da Costa

Salt of the Earth would be good.

Reply to
Travis

Between 2 sheds there is a 1 foot wide space (approx.) Lengthwise there is about 5 feet of soil overgrowing with weeds. Tearing the weeds out is easy. But they come back. The weed killers I've used don't seem to work for too long. If you know of any that will keep the area clear at least for a few months, please tell me.

Reply to
angel toledo

Kill the weeds and cover with landscape fabric. Cover the fabric with stones. Endlessly spraying poison is irresponsible, and as you've found out, pointless.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The easiest, cheapest and most effective way is to pee on it on a daily basis. I know this sounds kind of gross, but it really works.

angel toledo

I know it's the opposite of what people in this group are trying to achieve, but there is a small patch where I want just dirt to remain. No grass, weeds, nothing. I don't want to cover it up with any tarp or plastic. I just want it to remain as dirt. I've read products such as Roundup can kill what's there, but are uneffective after a week. Someone told me to mix salt into the soil. Will this work? Also, what kind of salt is best for this: table salt? rock salt?

Reply to
Turd Burglar

That's what I did for the foot or so of land between my shed and my neighbor's fence. If it were visible, I'd cover it with mulch, but it's not :)

-- Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

I'm curious--why would you want the area to remain as "dirt?" You could torch the area. Any method will require re-applications. Maybe you really want a concrete slab?

Reply to
Phisherman

You could cover the area with plastic and let the sun "sterilize" it.

May take some time.

Reply to
Aspasia

Ever heard the saying "Nature abhors a vacuum"? Something will find the empty spot delightful to grow in. It'll probably take more work to kill the "something" repeatedly than it will to go to a real garden store, buy some top-quality landscape fabric and bags of stones, open 2 beers, and install the barrier & stones.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

angel toledo wrote in news:tFzYe.84$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyc.rr.com:

How to Kill Soil - You must stab the soil 69 times with a Salty Thumb from a Salty Troll harvested with a silver dibble which has been cleansed with

69 moonbeams from the light of a blue moon on the shores of a Great Salt Lake.

Afterwards, the soil may still be able to grow stuff, but at least it will no longer be able to get up, walk around and terrorize the neighborhood.

Reply to
Salty Thumb