Identifying trees

Hello, I am hoping someone here can help me identify some trees by their leaves? I think I know some of them, let me know if I'm correct. I'm in East TN close to the smokies. I think in zone 6 but it sure seems like it should be zone 7. (this last winter would have been a zone 8+!)

Hopefully this link will show the leaves.

heart shaped one may be more of a bush, but I'm not sure, it could be a tree. Every leaf is nearly perfect heart shaped.

To the right of that I think is a Birch. It has grayish smooth bark.

Next to the right I don't know.

And the one following it I don't know, either but the tree has thorns similar to a rose bush (although it is NOT a bush). I thought I saw the same, except mature trees blooming along the road today. Sort of grape like clusters of flowers, but that could have been something different.

The big one at the bottom left I'm guessing is a Tulip Poplar?

To the right is an Oak.

Above the Oak is a dogwood.

Last bottom right is a maple.

PS:Is Mad Gardner here?

Tony (the cocoa mulch guy from PA) I'm here on the other side of English Mountain. Lost your email & phone.

Reply to
Tennessee Tony

Tennessee Tony wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

From the upper left to right:

  1. Cercis canadensis
  2. Not sure, could be Fagus grandiflora, Carpinus caroliniana, or (unlikely) Ulmus americana
  3. Quercus alba
  4. need closer image, possibly Gymnocladus dioicus
  5. (middle leaf)need closer image
  6. Liriodendron tulipifera
  7. Quercus robur
  8. possible Acer rubrum
Reply to
David Bockman

although many of these are too far to tell for sure- Top - from left to right-

  1. Definitley looks like Cercis canadensis
  2. Probably Fagus grandifolia(not flora)
  3. This is a toss up between Quercus alba and Quercus macrocarpa. Buds would tell for certain.
  4. IF this is the entire leaf, then most likely Robinia psuedoacacia. It could also be a portion of a leaf from Gymnocladus dioicus, but the leaflets look more like Robinia

bottom- left to right-

  1. Defnitely Liriodendron tulipifera
  2. A quercus that nobody in the world could guess without a twig sample, maybe Q. rubra, but is absolutley not the aforementioned Q. robur.
  3. (in the middle) Looks like Celtis occidentalis. It maybe one of the smaller leaved Ulmus, but the pic is to blurry to see the leaf bases.
  4. Probably just plain old Acer rubrum, but its hard to tell if the petiole is red.

Hope this helps. Leaves alone are rarely enough to identify a species even to the trained professional. Twig samples are often more helpful in identification.

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372

From the upper left to right:

  1. Cercis canadensis, definitely
  2. Looks like Quercus prinus - chestnut oak to me.
  3. May be Q. macrocarpa, but probably Q. alba.
  4. Pretty sure its Robinia pseudoacacia
  5. (middle leaf)need closer image ...maybe Housa dogwood, maybe a bunch of things
  6. Liriodendron tulipifera, definite
  7. Quercus cocciea or Q. coccinea / velutina hybrid
  8. probable Acer rubrum
Reply to
Mike LaMana

Thanks everyone, I thought the pic was going to be larger, that was the first time I used that web site. They really lowered the resolution and size of the picture. My news server doesn't host any binary groups so I can't (easily) post a pic there. Maybe I'll try a few pics for each tree, including the stem and branch and bark for each one. Not today, I feel like I have the flu, also it's raining. I'm going back to bed.

Tony

Reply to
Tennessee Tony