Mushrooms, Australia

Hi all I'm curious about starting off with mushrooms. I've googled locally, but cant find much. Does anyone have info on setting up or links. I live in Brisbane, but I am shifting to Northern NSW.

Cheers and thanks

pete

Reply to
peter

Do you mean growing mushrooms in the garden or indoors?

I can't imagine a mushroom garden would be very interesting most of the time. A garden full of log piles, and compost piles, occasionally a few mushrooms would pop out for a few days or weeks, then it would return to that pile again. Mushrooms need decaying matter, like compost, logs or piles of moist leaves. Commercially mushroom compost is mostly a mixture of manure and straw. Most mushrooms need to be kept in a moist, cool area, out of direct sunlight. I believe that 70F or about 20c is the upper end of what they'll tolerate.

Some, like shitake, grow for years inside of logs before they produce any fruit, unless you grow it in one of those composite logs that are made out of sawdust and other stuff.

Try some of these sites, although they are based in America.

Snooze

Thanks Snooze. The plan is to have them inside.

Thanks again, cheers, peter

Reply to
peter