Dogwood tree with thorns

I have a tree out in the back of my property that looks like it has thorns. It has never flowered...until now. It has white flowers all over it and looks like dogwood. My Grandma said it IS dogwood...but...I didn't know they had thorns. Is there a variety that has them?

Thanks! I am learning new things every day just by reading this newsgroup:)

Angie in the boonies of East Texas

Reply to
junkyardcat

Tree sure sounds like a Hawthorn (Crateagus spp)...but I ain't from the area :)

Reply to
Mike LaMana