Roots of Crabapple Trees, Shallow or Deep? (2023 Update)

I want to line my driveway with Crabapple trees but don't want the roots to eventually push up the cement in the driveway. Does anyone know if Crabapple Tree roots grow deep or shallow?

Thanks, Michelle

Reply to
MichelleB

The majority of the root system of ANY tree will be concentrated in the top

24 inches of the ground, but crabapples are not known to have aggressive root systems nor do they have a reputation for excessive surface rooting which could damage concrete. You should be fine.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

I wouldn't expect the crabs to pose the heaving problem say of spruce or maples. But it is hard to predict, and depends as much on the soil and physical parameters of the rooting zone as much as on the genetic component of the species. My guess is that you'll be OK.

Out of curiosity...what was there first, the trees or the driveway? If you are re-doing pavement around existing crabapples be very careful.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

I live in Charlotte NC, I'm not sure what southern "zone" that puts me in? The soil here is mostly clay and the summers are usually very dry. The species of crabapples are Eleyi. I was lining them up around the driveway when a neighbor mentioned the damage her Maple tree had done to her driveway, which is where my concern comes from. The pavement is not being redone, the driveway was there first and I'm trying to decide if planting the crabapples near the driveway would push up the pavement.

Thanks for your advice! Michelle

Reply to
MichelleB

My question is this. We have a crabapple tree planted just feet from our septic drain field. Would it cause damage to the pipes and should it be removed?

Reply to
Betsy

When I lived in Minnesota, Brainard area, leeching fields were six feet or deeper under the ground to prevent winter freezing. It was not unknown for tree roots to work there way into leeching pipes, plugging the pipe in some areas.

Reply to
Michael