Tree roots in drain pipes - persistent problem?

For longer than I care to remember, I've been getting drainage problems because of tree/plant roots growing into my drain pipes every few months or so. I have become well familiar with the issue. If the problem isn't too bad, I usually pour a few scoops of Root Rid (Copper Sulfate) crystals into the drain, last thing at night. If the root problem is more serious, I get a plumber to clear the drains with one of those roto tools. This clears out the roots thoroughly and the drains are cleared. I then keep up the Root Rid treatment for a few more weeks. The problem is the roots grow back later. I've been dealing with this problem for years and years, and I've had enough. I want to know if there is anything that is EXTREMELY toxic to tree/plant roots. I don't just want to use a chemical that will repel them from growing in the drains - no. Rather I want to use something that will kill the offending tree/plant, or poison it as thoroughly as possible. What is the equivalent of "cyanide" for a tree or plant that I can put into my drains last thing at night? The bottom line is I don't just want to repel the roots, I want to thoroughly poison the tree.

Reply to
Gas Bag

I've heard a few people put a 50 pound bag of rock salt in their wash tub and let it dissolve and go down the drain. Supposed to take care of the problem. Never tried it myself.

Killing the tree may cause other problems since it is a very slow process. Eventually the tree weakens and may fall on your car or house. Best to cut it down first and kill the rest.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

An alternative is a plastic pipe liner. Impervious to roots.

Reply to
HeyBub

As much as I'd love to cut down the tree (years ago)......not an option. Well, not at the moment anyway. Same as plastic pipe liner for the drains. Not a viable option at the moment. Sounds like a good idea though.

That "big bag of rock salt" option seems a reasonable idea. Might look into that. If you can give me some feedback on it, I'd really appreciate it. Also, I am thinking about buying some Round Up and pouring a little bit into the drain last thing at night, and keeping it up for a while.

The bottom line is that tipping some sort of chemical into the drain is the only option at the moment.

Reply to
Gas Bag

A chain saw!

Reply to
symplastless

Why, its not your tree is it?

Reply to
symplastless

I suppose that's okay for someone on city sewage but couldn't be to good for a septic system.

Yep, if tree roots are growing into a drainage system the best approach is to remove the offending trees.

Reply to
Sheldon

This is also my recommendation. Your problem indicates that there is a break or separated joint in your drain line. It doesn't take a tree to clog it. Any plant, even annuals, can cause problems.

Reply to
David E. Ross

I have lived peacefully for over 12 years with roots in my terracota sewer line. every joint but one has roots, even under home, some 100 feet needing replacement:( at a cost of 10 grand or more:(

first do not kill the tree, if thats what you want fine, but have it cut down. dont kill it, much bigger hazard and needs cut down anyway. tree climbers charge more for dying trees, because of the greater hazard...........

worse roots can go twice or 3 times the drip linew of the tree, you might kill a neighbors prized tree

rock salt is my friend, 25 pound bag used perhaps 5 or 6 times a year. cost under 20 bucks a year

start about now, in late winter when maximum root growth occurs. i dumb in wash tub before going out for day. dissolve most and leave for day the longer the better. our washing machine dumps in tub so it dissolves the balance

the salt kills the roots but doesnt harm the trees.

$10,000 divided by 20 bucks a year:) Lets just say its free..........

Reply to
hallerb

Given the presistence of the problem, your drain line is likely shot. How old is it?

Roots follow the water. Therefore, there are leaks, and cracks in the line that the roots can attack. In the worst cases, there is no more pipe -- just a hole in the dirt where the pipe used to be.

Chances are you're going to have to replace that line sooner or later. Ouch!

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

A real prisoner chain gang! Dig it up, carry down the road and bury it :-\\

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Round up only acts on the leaves and specifically is designed to degrade when it hits the soil.

Also may be a federal offence.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

for me with my rock salt, i turned a disaster to a cheap maintence issue.

the only trouble is home resale, then it will be a big issue

although the head of the sewer company explained to me they are replacing the sewer plant, because in 1950 the home builder ran one connection to the sanitary sewer into a gravel bed under the house so all basements will be dry.

that explained the connection to no where with heavy roots coming out.

i had the line camered, and have a video tape.......

my line runs under a wall, under a driveway drain, and is bad all under the house.

just emptying EVERYTHING from the basement and garage to do the work and install a interior french drain, will be a killer

Reply to
hallerb

Sure may!

One could end up in the Witless Protection Program.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Back on the farm long ago my father used copper nails driven into the base of the offending tree.

Reply to
farm hand ed

a buddy tried that, accompished nothing.

besides its way better easier and cheaper to cut down a living tree, than a dying one........

when a tree root gets in a line water is entering the line, in heavy rains our local sewer plant gets flooded out........ so its being replaced

Reply to
hallerb

Back in the day; my fore fathers traded mules along the river. Cypress trees gave shade.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Does your homeowner's insurance company know about your old sewer line needing to be replaced, and that part of the sewage empties into a gravel pit under your house? :-)

Reply to
BETA-33

Oren wrote in news:eq1tq3pbvdtfcooamp3b56abviumbglold@

4ax.com:

Mine were into chariot races.

Reply to
Red Green

no but the trouble occured after we bought the home..............

so its grandfathered in

besides it cant cause a insurance loss

Reply to
hallerb