Tree Roots

I think this may have been addressed before. Does anyone have any suggestions about getting rid of tree roots in a yard. We have a maple and a locust tree, and the roots are destroying our yard. TIA Tina

Reply to
T. L. Pope-Green

That's what these trees do! If you want to keep the trees you've selected you have to put up with the way they grow. Don't fight the problem -- you've got a couple of options -- (1) Remove the trees and strip the roots out of the ground, or (2) Accept that the roots come with the benefits of having the tree.

In my case, I have a number of bald cypress trees in the yard, which can create real root "problems" if you obsess over the lawn. What I did was create a garden under the trees, with things like gingers and other shade-compatible flowers, put a border around it, and let the flowers hide (or complement) the visible tree roots. Where necessary, I then cut back the cypress knees that came up outside of the garden.

Reply to
World Traveler

A red or swamp maple is the most unruly tree in this part of the world. It has no respect for drip lines at all. It will suck the nutrients out of every part of your property, then the property across the street. If you don't like it, cut it down. It's a pretty tree though. You get to decide. daveA

Reply to
David Raleigh Arnold

On 8/31/2005 6:54 AM US(ET), T. L. Pope-Green took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I just chop off the roots as they break the surface. Someone once told me that you can chop the roots as long as they were the diameter of your thumb or less. I had a post foundation dug for a sunroom 3 years ago and we encountered root ends from a Maple that was 30' away.

Reply to
willshak

European white birch will do the same thing to a lawn. Had one at my other house and ended up having to cut it down. What a pity as it was such a pretty tree. Always learning from experience. Planted 3 Rhus Typhina (staghorn sumac) trees....man they sucker like crazy as far as 20 feet away. The fall color is gorgeous though and the burgundy red cones went so nicely with my burgundy valances. For some strange reason the 1st in line of the sumacs did not produce one leaf this spring....ended up having to take it down as well.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin