Getting rid of locust roots

My husband and I had about 9000 square feet of our yard professionally cleared this spring, and removed about 30 locust trees. Now, all we are doing is getting rid of locust shoots. They are everywhere!!!! He is trying to remove the giant root system wherever he finds it, but as you may know, that is a massive job! Any suggestions on how to get rid of these once and for all? We would like to landscape with some different trees and shrubs.

Thanks, Caroline

Reply to
The Popovics