Tree Roots

I have a Crabapple tree in my backyard in the middle of a lawn. There is a cement mowing strip around the tree with flowers inside the mowing strip. Suckers from the tree roots are beginning to come up in the flower bed as well as a few in the lawn outside the mowing strip. We keep cutting them back but it's a losing battle. I'm sure that watering the lawn and flowers is causing the roots to come to the surface. Are there any alternatives to removing the tree as I'm not about to do away with the lawn.

Don in Tracy, Calif.

Reply to
Don

All I have done to deal with this problem in managed landscape is to mow them out. Eventually, the top of the tree will exercise more hormonal control and the sprouting will lessen, but it will probably not go away.

Others thoughts?

Reply to
Mike LaMana