Wintering a Russian Sage in a container

I"m a novice gardener and growing plants in containers on my terrace. I purchased a Russian Sage that grew beautifully all summer. In October I brought it indoors to repot and didn't get it back out promptly. I've now repotted the plant and mulched it, but while inside, the plant has sprouted new growth. Can I put it back outside now (we live in New York City)? Should I keep it indoors until Spring? What's the best strategy for seeing the Sage through the winter now that it has begun to regrow?

Reply to
Audrey

presley

I'm not sure about Russian sage but all my sages can't survive the winter outside in a container here in Zone 5 Chicago. For the smaller sages I overwinter them inside under either florescent or HPS lights. Pineapple sage gets really big so I take cuttings in the fall before they die and root them indoors over the winter so I'll have enough to put outside in the Spring.

Reply to
Mark Anderson

Well if this is indeed Perovskia Lamiaceae or true Russian Sage, it is hardy to zone 6-9. What kind of container? Clay? Fiberglass? Styrofoam? Cement? Plastic? If it's clay, fiberglass,cement or plastic, you can get a roll of insulation from the hardware store, and cut a piece long enough to wrap it around the pot, and tape it around the outside of the pot and put it out on the terrace. Which side is your terrace on, by the way? If it's facing southwest, you shouldn't have much problem, but the drying winds will play more havoc than the cold temperatures. and there IS windchill to consider. So wrapping the pot so that the roots don't freeze solid would be a great idea. Come springtime, unwrap the insulation, fold it and put into one of those huge ziploc baggies they've come out with until next winter! That way you can lable which pieces goes to which pot. madgardener always thinking of something............................................ who has LOTS of containers just cos' I like them! ---- up on the cold ridge, back in Fairy Holler in Eastern Tennessee zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Reply to
madgardener

] > I'm not sure about Russian sage but all my sages can't survive the ] > winter outside in a container here in Zone 5 Chicago. For the smaller ] > sages I overwinter them inside under either florescent or HPS lights. ] > Pineapple sage gets really big so I take cuttings in the fall before ] > they die and root them indoors over the winter so I'll have enough to ] > put outside in the Spring. ] >

] >

] >

] ] Well if this is indeed Perovskia Lamiaceae or true Russian Sage, it is hardy ] to zone 6-9. What kind of container? Clay? Fiberglass? Styrofoam? Cement?

I hadn't realized the common name for Perovskia is Russian Sage; but now that MG points it out, I can say that it's one tough customer. Very difficult to kill! :) I'd simply stick it back outside, and cut back to a few buds in late April. (In New Yawk, that is. I cut back mine in late feb in EU zone 8.)

A nice plant, requires almost no care at all, and flowers for a long time, too.

-E

Reply to
Emery Davis