elderberry in salty soil?

Anybody know whether an elderberry plant can tolerate salty soil?

I have an area near the driveway, about 2 feet by 4 feet, which has nothing but dirt and rocks. It gets a lot of road salt draining into it, in the winter. I'd like to put something in it, which will be between 3 and 20 feet tall.

Will an elderberry do well? If not, what do you recommend?

Thank you for all answers!

Ted Shoemaker, certified Gray Thumb

Madison, Wisconsin, US

USDA zone 4/5 AHS heat zone 4/5 Sunset zone 43

Reply to
shoemakerted

Did you try adding some sugar to sweeten it up a little?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Hmmm. Did I reach rec.gardens, or rec.cooking? ;)

Ted Shoemaker

Reply to
shoemakerted

I'd go with a pine, probably Lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta). Here in Oregon it grows readily in sandy soils about as close to the ocean as you can get, which includes getting salt spray. But we have a lot of acidic rainfall as well, which can change salt pretty quickly.

Daniel B. Wheeler

dwheeler