newbie with roses: how long do blossoms last?

Hello,

I have never been a gifted gardener. This is the first year we've tried roses. It's a 'CL Golden Showers', in a 16-inch pot. We planted a bareroot a couple of months ago.

A couple of days ago, it blossomed for the first time! But the blossom died in about two days. Is that normal? If so, will we get a lot of blooms each year? If it's not normal, how can we fix it?

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker, certified Gray Thumb

Madison, Wisconsin, US

USDA zone 4/5 AHS heat zone 4/5 Sunset zone 43

Reply to
shoemakerted

Some roses bloom for just a couple of days. Regardless of blooms, though,

16" is going to be a tight pot for that rose in another year or so. A good rule of thumb for roses (and many other medium to large plants in pots) is this: If you water the pot thoroughly, and you are then able to lift the pot and walk it across the yard without wrecking your back, the pot is not big enough.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Roses often do not bloom well their first year after planting. Blooms should not be encouraged until after the roots have recovered for an entire growing season.

Some roses have flowers that seem to last forever. I have seen flowers on my 'Honor' last two weeks; this one is a great rose for cutting bouquets. I generally see flowers on my 'Iceberg' last only 2-3 days; as cut flowers, they last only a day. The difference is that 'Honor' has bloom cycles through the year while 'Iceberg' always has flowers.

Reply to
David E. Ross

A little tip on keeping the bloom in the cut roses, mix half water with half

7Up or lemon-lime soda. Flat or bubbly, just the added suger. I used to use the florist's stuff and tried aspirin for years, but this is the best, especially for getting the not quite opened blooms to blossom!

Just an FYI MaryBeth

Reply to
Mary Beth

Thanks to all who wrote.