Pruning a Kousa

Our kousa dogwood has become rather floppy topped - it is reaching for more sun. Transplanting is not an option. What about pruning back some branches?

We live in SW Pennsylvania. Best time of year to do this?

Reply to
The Gallaghers

Dogwoods do not like to be pruned as I recall. I take out dead wood only.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

This is a good question. I would recommend reviewing this book:

you library does not have it, ask them to order it.

Also, it sounds like you would be better starting with a healthy tree. For correct planting and care instructions I STRONGLY "SUGGEST" this book.

are some web sites that may also help you.

  1. Techno Tree Biology Dictionary
    . Look up "logging".

  1. Articles written by DR. ALEX L. SHIGO, one of the foremost authorities worldwide on tree systems today online at
    Literature Available by Dr. Shigo is here:
    Hard to get Documents
    If you have any suggestions please let me know. 610-864-5251

John A. Keslick, Jr. Tree Biologist

of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY! Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"The Gallaghers" expounded:

Unlike some of the other answers you've received, I have no problem purning my kousa right after it flowers. As a matter of fact I'm going to prune mine in a week or so, it's infringing on the little japanese maple planted next to it. I've removed branches that overhang the driveway with no resultant issues with the tree, it's well established, at least 25 years old, grown from seed from my mother's plant. Prune away.

Reply to
Ann

Ann

Remember most people who ask questions about pruning, do not understand targets as well as dose. As a rule of thumb, for the beginners, this book is a must to understand targets.

to understand tree care treatments:
professional understands, dose, timing and targets. You will find excellent articles on trees here:
would also think that the N. Maple is encroaching the kousa.

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr. Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!

John A. Keslick, Jr.

"John A. Keslick, Jr." expounded:

How could a three foot tall japanese maple encroach on a 25 foot tall kousa?

Reply to
Ann

Kousas do fine when you prune them. We trim ours occasionally during the winter.

Ann wrote:

Reply to
heironymous

Ann

My mistake. I thought it was a Norway maple.