My Kousa Dogwood has no leaves yet!

I had a Kousa Dogwood planted last fall and its about 6 feet tall. It is now May 5th and I live in the Boston area and there are still no signs of leaves on the tree. The buds have been visible for a month or so and on some of them you can even see they opened a little but nothing came there. It's as if it stunted. My newly planted Japanese Maple is completely full of leaves now. Does anyone know if this is normal for this time of year for the Kousa to still not have any leaves or is there a problem? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reply to
Jammed Out

Kousas leaf out a bit later than Japanese maples, and newly transplanted trees often take longer to emerge from dormancy than established ones. Give it a bit more time before panicking. Not much to be done about it anyway!

Sue

Reply to
SugarChile

This is pretty normal in most northern areas. I walked past the kousas in the nursery this morning and the leaves are just starting to pop out, I am in the detroit metro area which is a similar climate to that of boston. Dont worry unless its july and still has no leaves.

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372

Aw come on, let her panic.

I bet she forgot to do the fertility dance when she planted it.

She will need to do it during the next full moon if she expects the plant to leaf out before it completely succumbs to bad juju!!!

How many of you out there remember how to do the fertility dance and can tell Jammy how it goes?

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Well that's not necessarily true since the nursery guarantees everything they plant for one year and if this thing doesnt sprout leaves and flower, I am going to want it replaced.

Reply to
Jammed Out

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Ok, point taken, what I meant was, there's nothing you can do to make it break dormancy faster.

Sue

Reply to
SugarChile

snipped-for-privacy@myway.com (Jammed Out) expounded:

I live probably 20 miles south of you and mine is just starting to leaf out. It was a hard winter, don't give up yet, give it some more time.

Reply to
Ann

My kousa has leafed out all over but still small, my Japnese maples are just starting to leaf. Central NY

Reply to
Kaygee

Mine isn't out yet either and I'm in NY. They'll come, relax!

Reply to
Tom Randy