getting existing ivy to cover bare ereas

I originally posted this last year but never got any response so thought I would try again......

I live in Northern NJ. On the side of my house is a steep slope, approx 20? x 100? long. Since I moved in approx 4 years ago, about 75% of the slope is nicely covered with Ivy. The rest of it is simply bare earth & or weeds & rocks which I keep removing. For the past 2 years or so I have been trying to get the ivy cover on the remaining 25% with no success.

I have taken clippings from the existing Ivy & transplanted it & I have bought trays of small ivy plants & planted those ? I see no results.

Anyone have any ideas that may help?

Cant I simply buy a bag of ivy seeds somewhere & just dump them all over the area? Anyone know where I can buy this if this is the way to go?

Reply to
David A. Kraft

You asked the question last year and again this year. No answer/replies...I guess no one knows. I know I don't. But! But, maybe it has something to do with the soil. Is the soil the same? Maybe having it tested to see if there is gas or weed killer or something like that in it that is preventing the ivy to take. How about getting some top soil and applying to the area? Possibly, some manure mixed with soil...I really don't know and am guessing. Testing the soil may give you some clues. Maybe the ivy is moving to cover but you haven't noticed... Good luck. Gary Fort Langley, BC

Reply to
gary davis

Or sunlight or water runoff.

Actually, if you're patient, *my* ivy will reach New Jersey in a few years and fill your entire yard. :-)

Reply to
Frogleg

Reply to
Michelle