Late frost with bare trees

We had a freak late frost last month and it damaged new leaves. One tree, a lace-leaf Japanese maple looks like as it dopes in winter--no leaves except for the frost-bitten brown leaves. Another tree (native) is a hackberry and it dropped all its leaves but currently it is flowering without any green leaves--very strange. The dogwood tree blossoms froze and these did not bloom this year. Will these trees eventually leave out? We are currently in a drought situation and I have been watering the Japanese maple tree. Will these trees recover? We are now having upper 80-degree weather. E.TN

Reply to
Phisherman

Same situation here in middle GA. Called state forestry folks about it & they said trees would releave & recover ok (which they have done as of this post). Only effect would be on this year's acorn, fruit, etc. crop which would be affected.

Reply to
Frank Thompson

Same thing happened to our new Crabapple tree we just planted last fall. It getting it's leaves and then it got really cold and froze it GOOD. The leaves got BBQ'd, dried up and fell off. Now it has grown new leaves and looks normal. It came through fine. The only consequence is that it did not bloom this year.

Reply to
J.A. Michel