fragrant flowers for shade or semi-shade?

Hello,

I have a lot of shade. That immediately limits my choice of what will grow. On the other hand, having old maples is a blessing.

Anyway, what flowers will grow in shade or semi-shade AND have a pleasing aroma?

(This is planning ahead for next year. Now is not planting time.)

Thank you for all suggestions.

Ted Shoemaker, certified Gray Thumb

Madison, Wisconsin, US

USDA zone 4/5 AHS heat zone 4/5 Sunset zone 43

Reply to
shoemakerted

Lily of the valley form a robust shade ground cover and have exquisite fragrance in late May. But the flowers are tiny. In semi-shade, you may get lucky with some of the asclepias. I don't know them all but some have a wonderful smell in July.

Reply to
simy1

There are quite a few fragrant hostas. Here's a starting point:

Hello,

Reply to
Jo Ann

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

If you have animals in your yard, you might want to look into the mints. I used to love it when the animals would brush against all that greenery

-- topped with purple flowers, of course -- and the various smells of mint would linger in the air for a very long time.

And I'm not sure (someone double check me on this) but isn't Verbena quite fragrant and shade loving?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

I would also recommend looking into scented hosta varieties.

My hosta 'Royal Standard' is coming into bloom and has a simply

*amazing* scent. My 'Guacamole' was planted this year and hasn't bloomed, but it should be fragrant, too.
Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I have H. "Honeybells" - a gift from a friend - and it too is fragrant.

Have you thought about some of the true germaniums - some of their leaves are scented.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Patchouli; jasmine; some orchids; allspice bush, there are some geraniums that are scented also; that's what I can think of off the top of my head!

Reply to
glenon

Thanks, everyone, for the ideas.

Ted Shoemaker, certified Gray Thumb

Madison, Wisconsin, US USDA zone 4/5 AHS heat zone 4/5 Sunset zone 43

Reply to
shoemakerted

"Jo Ann" expounded:

heavenly!