Roofing tar to seal tree wounds?

Hello,

I have some mature oak trees in my yard that I had built a tree house in for my son about 6 years ago. I've taken most it down and after I finish removing all of the metal bolts from the trees I'm wondering what to seal the holes with. In the past I've heard that you can use roofing sealer for this. Is this still a good solution or is there something better?

Thanks in advance, Vin

Reply to
Vinny

You can buy spray cans of something black and tarry at nurseries and homeowners stores. I use it to seal where limbs were removed, etc. Maybe it's roofing tar lite...

Anybody know?

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

Use nothing, leave the wound bare. The outdated practice of using bitumen/tar has been found to actuall seal in fungal spores and bacteria, hence accelerating decay/rot. So long as the cut is made correctly, allowing the wound wood to hea naturaly, the CODIT system will help to ensure minimal decay

-- penance

Reply to
penance

Now a days it is recommended that you do not seal wonds just let them scar over.

Reply to
Travis

The sealers seal in bacteria and fungi and give them a protected place to establish themselves. In addition the solvents cause further injury. Current practice is to clean wounds up smooth and not use any sealant.

Reply to
bamboo

The answer is no 1) because normally sealers aren't required and 2) because asphalt based sealers should never be used.

"Travis" wrote:

The exception is to seal wounds on trees that are susceptible to damaging insect infestation such as birch, oak, and elm trees with a NON-asphalt based pruning sealer. However it is preferable to disturb oak trees during the winter when the insects are not active and no sealer is required.

Here are some references:

[Why not use pruning sealer? by University of New Mexico]

[How to Prune a Tree]

[Stop pruning elm and oak trees by University of Minnesota]

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I understand they don't recommend sealing tree wounds any more. The tree can take care of itself.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Randy