Filbert tree dying?

Greetings!

I have two clusters of filbert trees in my yard and both clusters have done very well in the past. This year, the one cluster of trees doesn't have any foliage or blooms on it and is completely bare. The bark around the base of this tree is peeling off in layers and has white spots under the peeling bark.

Any suggestions on what this might be? Can I save this tree or should I cut it down before it infects the remaining trees? I live in central Ontario. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Chris Chandler

I don't claim to know much about filberts, but here's a link I found:

maybe a discription of your problem there somewhere. Let us know what you found 80)

Reply to
Timothy

Thanks for the link! Lots of good info there, but nothing that resembles my dilemma. I'm thinking about posting a picture of the diseased part of the tree in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

Reply to
Chris Chandler

Actually, after a closer inspection of the tree, that link you gave me DOES show similarities of the Eastern Filbert Blight disease! Thanks!!

Reply to
Chris Chandler