Maple tree bark peeling

I've got a maple tree that was planted 2-3 year ago. The tree seemed week from very beginning - the leaves were not as thick, they appeared later and fell earlier. I was not sure whether that was a reason to be concerned. Last year, however, I've noticed that the bark on the tree cracked and is peeling. The peeling area is rather big - up to 30 % of the width of the tree. The peeled bark is as dry as on a dead tree. Is there something wrong with a tree? Should I treat it with something? I know next to nothing about gardening and appreciate any info I can get, Sasha

Reply to
sasha

Peeling bark on some maples are natural/

Reply to
Travis

Like the Paperbark Maple. It has beautiful peeling bark. Mine was a 2" caliper when planted. The leaves were tiny little bits, but every year it looks better.

MissJeananneseedster

seemed

Reply to
sasha

seemed

Reply to
sasha

Is it peeling down to the cambium layer. That would not be right.

Reply to
Travis