Peeled Tree Bark and Protection?

Hello! I live in Ohio state, and I have a red Japanese Maple which is about 11 feet tall, and part of the tree bark has been peeled off. It is a thin, long stretch peel off, from close to ground, and extend about 1 feet long with a width of 2 inches.

Some of maple tree branch has been completely dead, no new buds for over a year, while majority still growing in good health. I am thinking a way to protect my maple tree, especially the exposed part after the bark peel off. My idea is either to pain it with white primer, or water-based latex paint; or, get some adhesive tape to cover the exposed tree trunk.

Should I even need something like a tree sealant to kill all the potential molds and diseases? Is this sealant all that I need to spray on the exposed trunk and avoid all the troubles of painting and adhesive tapes ?

Just worry the expose tree trunk will become an ideal bed for diseases, mold, or insects! Any feedback is appreciated!

Reply to
TheGreatWarrior

Just leave it alone. Trying to seal it will only seal in any potential pathalogical organisms.

Reply to
Travis

The only thing you need do is trim away any ragged edges with a sharp knife or chisel. Use no paints or sealants.

Reply to
bamboo