dying tree- can you help?

click above and tell me what kind of tree this is, and if the lichen that seems to be taking over the bark of this tree is killing it. It's been a slow year for trees this spring, so I am not sure if the tree is dying or not. I did prune quite a few dead branches, however.

The bark is crawling with aphids too. Does this mean anything?

Thanks!

Reply to
Tim G.

No the lichens are not killing the tree.

I would do soil maintenace and remove symplastess wood.

I would have to see the tree and take some readings with a SHIHOMTER to determin vitality.

Reply to
John A. Keslick, Jr.