How do you plug the drainage hole in clay pot?

I have a beautiful clay pot that I want to convert to a fountain. What is the best device for plugging the drainage hole?

Also, I am new to this group. Can I forward photos of struggling plants for advice? Thanks a bunch!

Reply to
Trudy

I don't know about the pot but this is not a binary group so no pictures. Post pictures in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

Reply to
Travis M.

I've used silicone caulk with great success for small pots. Larger ones might require the use of concrete, generally a 2-3" layer in the bottom is sufficient. If putting plants in the pot, avoid using anything that could cause the water to become poisonous to the plants (tar, some concrete sealers, or oil based products). Some pots aren't meant to be made into fountains. I've used some that after a short period of time they fell apart. I've had fairly good luck out of baked terra cotta. Avoid the clay pots unless they are mae specifically for water applications. Some caly hasn't been cured well and the water makes them become brittle. Concrete pots are porous and need to be sealed (much like a concrete bird bath).

Good luck.

JD

Reply to
JD

I assume the plumbing of the fountain will come up through the hole.

You will need a short pipe nipple that is either fully threaded or on which the unthreaded part is not longer than the thickness of the bottom of the pot. The nipple should be at least two inches longer than the thickness of the pot. You will need two large steel washers, with holes only slightly larger than the nipple and outside diameters about 1/2 inch or more larger than the diameter of the hole in the bottom of the pot. You will need two rubber washers holes larger than the nipple and outside diameters slightly smaller than the diameter of the steel washers. Finally, since nuts rarely have threads compatible with pipe threads, you will need small pipe flanges that will fit the nipple.

On the nipple, place a rubber washer, steel washer, and pipe flange in that order. Put the nipple through the hole in the bottom of the pot with the flange and washers underneath. In the pot, place a rubber washer, steel washer, and pipe flange on the nipple. Tighten the flanges to the point where they cause the steel washers to compress the rubber washers. Do not over-tighten, or you might crack the pot.

The nipple should extend enough beyond the flanges for you to use female-threaded couplings to finish the plumbing.

Never send messages with images to a newsgroup unless "binary" or "binaries" is part of the newsgroup's name. Some server operators automatically delete any messages containing images to non-binary newsgroups.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Thanks so much for the info! I've learned that clay pots aren't appropriate for fountains, so back to the drawing board.

PS - Thanks for advocating spy-free email! How can we be free if we are being spyed on???

David E. Ross wrote:

Reply to
Trudy

Trudy- Don't be discouraged by the clay pot. . .It may be more suitable than you realize. Three years ago, I decided to turn a large blue glazed pot into a water garden, with gold fish, and water lilies. It had the unfortunate hole in the bottom.

I used a method similar to what David provided, and also added a coat of pond sealant to the inside of the pot (I chose a black colored sealant). That pot is still out there on the patio with my fish and water lilies doing just fine. . .Leak free;-)

However, another idea you may try, if you are squimish about the clay pot, is a whiskey barrel with a hard plastic liner. Home Depot and Lowes sells those hard plastic liners that fit nicely inside the whiskey barrel.

Good luck!

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

A cork or rubber stopper should work.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thank you so much! I will pick up some sealant. The pot is lovely and I am happy to learn that I can use it after all.

Best regards!

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:

Reply to
Trudy