angel trumpet leaves curling

I have an angel trumpet in a large pot. It is 3-4 feet tall and I have had it a few months. The leaves were quite large but now they seem to be cupping under. Kind of like you would cup your hand around something. Even the new leaves have this odd look. What does this mean? I keep the soil evenly moist. I live in Houston and it gets afternoon sun but there are some branches from other plants that overhang a bit. Should I feed more or less? I have emailed the person I bought it from but haven't heard back yet.

Reply to
Phyllis Stone

Do you know what you mean by "angel trumpets?" Are the flowers upright or hanging down?

I can tell you that if you have datura or brugmansia it is normal for them to wilt in the hot afternoon and they do not do well in full sun here in TX at this elevation. Their native place is in the Andes mountain range where it is moist and cool at night. We get very little relief in TX at night.

Do NOT over water it thinking the problem is to water it too much. The other thing it could be is not enough water. In containers these plants, when grown in TX need to be watered daily in mid-morning. Sometimes if the container is small, they need two waterings. Again, wilting is normal. They do this to conserve water.

Reply to
Jangchub

I think its real name is brugmansia. The flowers are double and they hang down. I don't think it is wilting because the new leaves have that same cupped shape. I wish I could take a picture but I can't. The pot is big. Would it help if I moved it to the shade? This has happened within the last

2 weeks, at first the leaves were very large. I just know I am killing it in some way.
Reply to
Phyllis Stone

You probably have Brugmansia x candida 'Double White.'

I have two of those and both are very prone to spider mites. Without seeing the plant I cannot help you determine the problem. They are heavy feeders and I fertilize mine every two weeks. I also put a strong spray of water under the foliage daily to wash off spider mites. Regardless what they say in books, Brugs do not like heat. Not the heat we have in Texas. One of my Brugmansia spp is blooming right now. Maybe tomorrow I'll put some photo's on my silly blog.

Check for little webs between the stunted leaves and if you see those, you have spider mites.

Reply to
Jangchub

Brugmansia, Datura also known as Angels Trumpets will show signs of leaf curl if they are in full sun they prefer partial sun, they also need regular feeding to prevent yellowing of the leaves and to promote the growth of the huge flowers they produce. Ensure also that the plants pot is large enough as the root growth on these plants is amazing, best of luch.

If you need any more help e mail > ;804966']On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:24:01 -0500, "Phyllis Stone"

Reply to
Kathryn Selfe

Reply to
Jangchub

This plant is important to me and I am determined that it not die. We don't have a nursery close so I am going to snip a couple of leaves and take them to Ace Hardware and get help. It would be better to have a real plant place but my choices are Home Depot or Ace. I dusted it with Ortho rose and floral dust, scratched in some ironite and moved it a little back under a tree fern leaf. I am hoping that someone there can look at the leaves and say 'yes, you need to do this and everything will be fine'. I don't have a 'green thumb' at all but I really would like this plant to survive my care.

Reply to
Phyllis Stone

You were given advice, but you did what you wanted anyway so if the plant dies, oh well. Nobody told you to dust with Ortho rose and floral dust and certainly nobody told you to ad ironite, which has toxic levels of arsenic in it. I've been growing these plants for decades. Don't ask a question and then go do whatever you want anyway. Don't waste my time. Take it to Ace Hardware. Don't take time to use the biggest library on earth, the Internet.

Reply to
Jangchub

I am sorry to have offended anyone. I was just trying really hard to gather as much advice as possible. I have searched the Internet and I guess my computer skills match my plant growing skills because I couldn't find anything that exactly matched my problem so I made a judgment call, possibly wrong. The dusting was in case there were bugs I couldn't see, there were no webs, the ironite was in case I had overwatered and stressed the plant and I also tried to get it out of the sun as much as I could. I reasoned that the 'cupping' could mean that the leaf veins are not supporting the leaf causing it to collapse. Again I am sorry to offended anyone in anyway.

Reply to
Phyllis Stone

You didn't offend me. You offended the way nature works by poisoning without the slightest bit of knowledge of what or why you wanted to kill this mystery thing, insect, mite, using some broad, carcinogen. It's probably not listed for use on spider mites anyway. A good way to kill plant is to use poisons improperly. If you read the label you'd know you should first identify the problem. I gave you a reasonable answer by telling you to spray the undersides of the foliage with forceful water. That's all you needed to do for "potential" spider mites. They are most likely the only animal you'd not be able to see with the naked eye without a 10x eye loop.

Then you put Ironite in the container. What was that for? I'm not offended, you wasted my time because while i gave you methods you did what you wanted to do anyway. Why ask, is my point.

Reply to
Jangchub

I am glad you weren't offended. I did get hands on help and there were no spider mites, as I suspected. As you know it is very hot in Tx. and I took someone's advice and moved the plant to a more filtered location. You have been a big help and I am sorry I provoked you to be rude as I am sure you are usually a very helpful person whose time should never be wasted. As I stated my, goal was to save the plant and I think I did. Thanks again for all the helpful impute.

Reply to
Phyllis Stone

replying to Jangchub, Marky Marky! wrote: Wow, Jangchub, I would be shocked if anyone listened to anything you say since you say everything in such insulting and offensive way. Quite likely you are very knowledgeable but you certainly have no clue how to be nice lol!

Reply to
Marky Marky!

One of the hazards of reading Usenet posts on Homeowners Hub is that Homeowners takes news postings and displays them as if in a forum where old news never dies.

Some of here on Usenet may remember this post from 2008, but most of us don't. Please don't read/post on that forum, or if you must, at least read the dates and include the original post in your reply.

Thanks.

Reply to
Dan Espen

replying to Phyllis Stone, MoonFlowerMist wrote: You don?t need to apologize. Everyone makes mistakes. Regarding other responses to your post, however, I?d say assholism doesn?t appear to be less benign.

Reply to
MoonFlowerMist

replying to Marky Marky!, Robert C Richards wrote: I've just read the original question/problem from 2008, and all the answers that aren't answers. The lady had an angel trumpet/brugmansia, not a datura/devil's trumpet... my first "go to" whenever I have a new plant problem, whether in a pot or in the ground, is to 1) take a cutting of the area/part in question to my local agriculture extension office. There is usually someone there who can identify the problem and give me a solution or a science based "try this". 2) I take a soil sample to the extension office.. if you've never done one, they're easy and the folks at the extension office can tell you how to do it; give you the box and paperwork to complete (no charge for advice) In my area (NC), the soil samples are free from April thru Nov. Take the soil sample back to the extension office; they will send it to their participating USDA soil lab for analysis. The results will be posted online (usually about 2-3 wks) and you can get the results online. The analysis will tell you what, if anything needs to be added to the soil for optimal growth of the particular pant(s) that you are trying to grow. Most of the extension offices have plant clinics during the summer.. also free .. where you can call, email, or walk in. Most problems related to insects, fungus, mold, and some viruses can be identified while yoiu wait. Once you're armed with this information, git on with it.. good luck, call your extension office. They are a wealth of information. All at no cost.

Reply to
Robert C Richards

replying to MoonFlowerMist, Angel trumpet wrote: Google brought me to this post as I search for an answer to a like problem this person is having. It was the comment you speak of that caused me to decide to seek help elsewhere. This post may be from 2008 but the truth is it still deters people from seeking help here today. I agree with you completely. ????

Reply to
Angel trumpet

Can’t believe you apologized to that self righteous narcissist - you have a right to do whatever you choose with the advice given. Some ego maniacs lose their minds when you don’t treat their words like God’s own. You have free will... I doubt you need to apologize for exercising that right

Reply to
Sheilah

Thank you, MoonFlowerMist, for these kind words today. They hit the spot. CraZ4Datura, maybe I'll call myself that!

Reply to
CraZ4Moons