Curling leaves

Why are the leaves on my tomato plants curling?

Reply to
Wally B

Are they curling up or are they curling down? Any discolouration?

Normally caused by stress--upward curl too much water and downward curl by too little water. There are other possible stressors. See

if discoloured and other possible causes.

Reply to
Jim Carter

Not sure this applies to tomatoes, but check the underside of the leaves for any tiny insects.

Sherw> Why are the leaves on my tomato plants curling?

Reply to
sherwindu

Try this for help:

Claire Petersky

Are they curling up or down, and are they curling from the tip toward the stem, or from towards the middle?

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

They're curling upward. I don't notice any discoloration.

Reply to
Wally B

I don't see any insects.

Reply to
Wally B

They're curling up.

Reply to
Wally B

"Physiological leaf roll may be associated with environmental stresses such as excess moisture, excess nitrogen, and transplant shock. Leaf roll may also be related to moisture conservation during periods of extreme heat and drought. Improper cultural practices such as severe pruning and root damage during cultivation can also cause leaf roll symptoms. Physiological leaf roll involves an initial upward cupping of the leaves, followed by an inward roll. In severe cases, the leaves roll up until the leaflets overlap. Symptomatic leaves become thickened and leathery. Symptoms typically appear first in lower leaves but may spread to the entire plant, depending on the severity of the condition. Leaf roll is more commonly associated with staking varieties of tomato, such as "Early Girl" and "Big Boy", rather than bush types. In most cases, the condition is temporary and will have little or no affect on plant growth or fruit production. "

Does this sound like your problem?

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Yes it does, and I suspect it's over watering. I live in the Mojave desert and when it gets hot, I'm prone to watering cause when I get hot and thirsty, I think my plants are hot and thirsty also (grin). Thank you.

Reply to
Wally B

I have a grape tomato with yellowed leaves (at the top of the plant) and it has rolled down leaves. The plant is about 2-feet tall and has 2 green tomatoes and several buds, that look healthy. Is this the viral disease? Being that it is still late spring, should I keep it or buy an extra-large plant from a nursery?

Reply to
Higgledy

Reply to
Higgledy