Allergic to Laburnum golden rain/chain

Hi there,
I'm new to this forum.
I am allergic to peanuts and all fabiciae trees, which includes Laburnum. I found out I was allergic to it when we moved in to an
apartment, which had one right outside the bedroom window. It was a nightmare. We had the windows open all spring and I was just getting sicker and sicker, specially when I got a wiff of the fragrance, it would make me insanely dizzy. Eventually I figured out it was the tree and moved out.
Has anyone experienced or heard about this before? My doctor is mesmerised.
Anyway, we just rented a new apartment and there is a Laburnum outside the apartment which the landlord agreed to get rid of, for my allergies sake. The problem is that the smell is lingering in the apt.(probably from the previous tenant having the window open during springtime) and it's making me dizzy and sick again, but to a lesser degree.
Any ideas on how to get rid of the odor?
--
Rocco


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/29/2020 2:47 AM, Rocco wrote:

You should leave windows open. In the meantime, see your physician about a regimen of anti-histamine medications until the cause is gone.
I strongly suspect you are actually allergic to pollen from the plants, not the odor. Allergies generally result from exposure to proteins (pollen) and not to volatile oils (odor). Pollen and odor go together when the plants bloom. The problem is that the pollen can persist in the air of your apartment as long as (or even longer than) the odor.
I am violently allergic to grass pollen. In my climate, that is a year-round problem.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/29/2020 5:47 AM, Rocco wrote:

It is possible to become sensitized to any foreign protein although some are more widely abhorred than others -- peanuts for one. The sensitization can come from even a single exposure and it is totally unpredictable who will react to what. I would not think that the mere odor is going to be a problem since there is no protein involved in that (AFAIK) but even a bit of pollen can raise hell with your immune system. Unless there is a specific desensitization treatment for this allergy then about all you can do is to avoid the source and treat the symptoms. I trust that you are seeing an allergist for this and not a regular general-purpose family doctor.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.