The End Is near !

Until next spring , that is . I'm just biding my time until the first hard frost . I still have lettuce , spinach , and bok choy producing - and the bok choy is doing the best and it's all volunteer . The tomatoes have bloomed again and set fruit , but I doubt there will be time for them to ripen . There are still some green onions in the ground , they need to be pulled before frost . And I have right around a hundred garlic shoots up now . These are from the garlic we like that we've been buying at the grocery . I haven't a clue just what variety it is ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

What is "frost?" We're getting low fifties in the morning and in the eighties by mid afternoon. That's what passes for fall in Houston area. We're hoping for a mild winter, last year's sucked, we had rain, snow, sleet, and hail all on the same day. An unusual occurrence for us.

Still have tomatoes, eggplant, and sweet peppers planted last spring producing regularly still. A volunteer cucumber has, so far, given us an even dozen nice cukes. Harvested a bucket of Swiss chard yesterday and probably will get another batch next week. The chard was planted last fall and still making. We're still harvesting fresh basil from a bunch that came up from fallen seed in 2013. The weather is strange across this whole country. I'm not complaining mind you, I despise cold weather, it's just unusual.

We did plant a fall garden in September, harvested radishes from it yesterday. The mesclun mix is up and growing and the broccoli and cabbage are doing well. The spinach patch is just now coming up and another batch of scallions has been planted.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Frost is when you get up in the morning and the dew has turned white ... We're a bit farther north and (probably) at a higher altitude . I watch for that first frost , it knocks the biting bug population down and makes it fun to be out in the woods . The local deer population may not agree ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs