Ewww !

My tomatoes have gone all wilty , and they did it overnight ! Yesterday they were pretty and green , today they're all wilty and starting to turn dark . Peppers too , but the lettuce , spinach , and bok choy seem to be all right . Last night it got down to below 30? here ... about average for our first frost . Supposed to do it again tonight .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

For the tomatoes and peppers get them picked and inside if you want to save them. The other things will hold until a hard freeze.

Reply to
Steve Peek

If I have anything tender on the plants when a 32° night is predicted, I will be out stripping every plant except the ones that I know will tolerate the temps. I remember one day out picking peppers with freezing hands. I think I might pick the lettuce or most of it. The others will tolerated cold better.

Reply to
The Cook

I'm sure glad I don't live where you do. We have ripe cherry tomatoes that will be picked later today, the Celebrity toms have large egg sized green tomatoes on, the eggplants are blooming and there are already several almost ready to pick. That's the spring summer garden.

Fall garden is doing well, cabbage is starting to head up, broccoli is stalking, radishes are about done, time for another planting. Lettuce is doing poorly, I suspect old seed that was left out of refrigeration while someone who lives with me was deciding what to plant. Same with the spinach. The green peas are starting to climb.

Yard needs mowing again but the lawn lady what I live with is nursing a bruised foot and has stolen my cane again. Otherwise beautiful sunshine with rain possible next week, night temps in the high fifties, low sixties and daytime in the mid-seventies. It's what passes for fall in Harris County, TX.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

i try to get the tomatoes and peppers picked before they get too cold. our bok choy never made it past the furry critters this season. i don't even think i got a taste of it thinking it would come back like most everything else did.

19F forecast here for tonight - it will be the coldest night forecast for the week. was cold last night too. can't complain too much, it's been really nice weather the past month or so for the most part.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Good Grief Bird! I would freeze to death before the forecast was over. Supposed to be 45F here tomorrow morning, I'm not going outside until it warms up. I told my wife I wanted to move to Belize but no, she had to be close to the grands and great grands. Maybe she will move with me to Costa Rica. Naw, it's all those babies that keep us here.

Just finished chopping and freezing a tray of sweet chiles, may be the last of our season but there's lots of little ones on the plants still.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

we'll get used to it like any other year, but today looks pretty nice out there if i can get moving.

if you get plenty of sunshine and not too much cold they may keep on going. ours were flowering heavily and then the frosts shut them down. i miss the red peppers the most. we were able to rescue most of the larger ones before the cold damaged them, the next day the plants were a wilted pile. now everything except turnips and rutabagas are out of the gardens.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Derald wrote: ...

believe me, if i had a way of keeping it further north i'd do that as long as i could. i really like having an extended season and it's also nice to not have to heat the house much at all.

we may see 60F again sometime in the next few weeks, but the trend is definitely towards winter.

ah, thanks for reminding me, i should check the small onions...

i'm surprised your okra and eggplant would give up already if the temperatures are holding up?

:)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

That's one of the things I enjoyed about living in Louisiana, we're heat zone 8b here and there it was 9b. Our last frost date was February 18 most years. Spring garden lasted most of the year and a very short winter season. Just long enough to grow a good mess of greens, cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower.

Temperature out today is mid-sixties with heavy rains expected this evening. Our major problem is not enough rain at the right time.

Got to get out there and pick a bucket of sweet chiles before the rain comes. Also need to empty the compost barrel, smells like sweet soil so must be ready.

George

Reply to
George Shirley