Now what ?

Well , the spinach and lettuce has come up , the bok choy is there from seed that fell before I harvested the pods . And today I tilled the straw from around the potatoes (what a disappointment ...) into the ground to add more organic matter , prepped the area up by the lettuce and planted about

100 garlic cloves . I'm debating with myself whether or not to plant some kale - we've never tried it , might be good in salads . I need to inventory my seed supply , see what else might be a good fall crop , I have about 3-5 rows 25 feet long that are ready to plant ... or I could just let them lie fallow until next spring .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

To me kale is a tough leafed bitter form of greens I like it cooked but would struggle with it in a salad, it would take too much chewing, but cooked into chips it would be as nice as croutons.

Mike

Reply to
Bloke Down The Pub

Two approaches: plant one of the more tender kales. make "massaged kale" salad, in which you slice fine (chiffonade?), add something acidic like lemon juice, a little olive oil, and knead for a while. SWMBO likes it, if I do the kneading.

Reply to
Gary Woods

It depends on the cultivar. Some kales are tougher than others, some are more bitter than others. Also for salad you should pick the tender young leaves.

I like kale, it is tough, long lasting, nutritious and often pretty to look at, as well as being tasty.

Reply to
David Hare-Scott