Feelin' Screwed ...

Turns out that NONE of the tomato seeds I bought at Walmart that were supposed to be beefsteak actually are ... We got cherry tomatoes , and we like them , but that's not what I wanted to plant . The rest are a run-of-the-mill medium tomato , average about tennis ball to baseball size . And they're good , much better than store-bought . But they're not what I wanted ... so next year guess where I'm NOT going to buy seeds ? I need to find a local "seed bank" of local growers , I figure that's the best way to get plants that do well up here . And i have a bunch of seeds saved to swap . Plus , I've got volunteer bok choy growing in the garden now , and just yesterday I scattered some spimach and romaine seeds from the early crop this year . Now if we can nurse these tomatoes along a while longer we'll have some more nice salads .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Moral of the story: Never buy seeds from Walmart!

Reply to
Steve Peek

I ordered 3 heirloom tomato (beefsteak , mortgage lifter , and san marzano) and a cantalope and some serrano pepper seeds from a supplier in Tennessee yesterday . Bet ya a nickel I get what I ordered ... I can't really blame WM , their supplier screwed up . But I still won't buy any more seeds or sets from them .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I have bought seeds from Wal-Mart for more than 10 years and have NEVER had a problem.

DJ

Reply to
dj

Well good for you ! This is the first time I've had problems , and the last- the Roma tomatoes were sick when I got them too . I think you'll find that as Sam's kids strangle the last dime out of the family business the quality drops further and further . My wife works for them and has commented about that to me ... example : they're putting a new program in place for the cell phone sales area where she works , and the computer system in their store is too outdated to run the new software well . No indication they're about to update/upgrade that either .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I mostly buy from a local nursery that stocks good seed of many kinds but also there's Pinetree and Johnny's Seeds that, generally, you get the proper seed. It's a PITA to buy seeds somewhere and they turn out to be something else.

We bought tomato seeds at a local grocer once long ago and, when the packet was opened they were flower seeds. Never went back there.

I just tossed out some saved some chile seed from 30 years ago. Dug it out of the freezer in early spring and started them and they were a different chile than I wanted. That's what happens when you do your own hydridizing. But there's always a chance you will get something really good.

Reply to
George Shirley

Happened to my father years ago with seedlings he bought somewhere.

I only have a half dozen plants on my deck as garden got shaded out and deer run rampant.

I had three different varieties of tomatoes this year and got a bumper crop. Two were grown from seeds of a tomato that guy up the road sold and told me they were heirlooms that he grew every year. Plants were just as productive as seedlings I bought.

Weather was key this year and I had more than wife and I could handle and I had to freeze several quarts for the first time in years. I also fertilized a lot more than normal. I've probably played around growing tomatoes for 50 summers and I learn something new every year.

Reply to
Frank

Frank wrote: ...

have you ever had buckeye rot? if so, did it rapidly spread to tomatoes not in contact with the soil?

we've not had early blight hit us yet over the years. we've had late blight a few years and that doesn't bother me much in comparison to what happened this year with the buckeye rot.

one thing for sure the weather will keep on being variable. that is one reason why i hate planting mostly one variety. i get overruled and so it goes...

cherry tomatoes have come along well after the slow start.

songbird

Reply to
songbird