two vegetable garden questions

  1. Do potato plants have fruit? I just harvested my first crop of potatoes, and there are all these little green soft fruit on the ground where the vines died back. If they are fruit, can they be planted and become potato vines?

  1. What is a good late season crop to plant in the bed where the potatoes are no more? Or several late season crops :)

Reply to
Betsy

Yes! Oh, Yes! A hundred times yes. :)

Planting potato seed is a great way to select new varieties for your specific area. You can select for instance: Cold Tolerance, Yield, Taste, Color, etc. And it's also a lot of fun!

See: "Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties, The Gardener's and Farmer's Guide to Plant Breeding and Seed Saving" by Carol Deppe.

carries it at a discount price.

Spark

Reply to
Spark

yes, they are fruits. I think if you plant them you will get plants with small potatoes. Those, if used as seed potatoes, will give you regular potatoes. But I am not sure and someone may correct me.

If you like greens, you have lots of choices. In the last 3 weeks I planted tatsoi, arugula, lettuce, spinach, chicory, and kale. Pac choi, broccoli rabe (rapini), mustard, would be good choices too. It is getting a bit late to plant carrots, chard, peas or short season cabbages (including broccoli), at least in SE MI.

Reply to
simy1

snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (simy1) expounded:

Yes, they're fruits, but if you take the seeds out and plant them, you'll get baby potato plants just like if you plant tomato seeds. Seed potatoes are small potatoes, or pieces cut from larger ones.

Reply to
Ann

The message from "Betsy" contains these words:

The seeds inside them can.

Potato fruits are poisonous btw. Don't try eating them or feed them to animals.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..