Extending The Potato Season

I've been planting potatoes for a number of years with good results but wondered if there is some way to keep potatoes growing longer. Here in Maryland, U.S.A., the potato plants start to die back in late August. When they're totally withered, I harvest the tubers in the hills.

However, growing season continues on for a couple of months. Is there any way to encourage the potato plants to hang around until early October and maybe produce a few more tubers?

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

I think you'll find that potato plants die down when they are ready, even when the growing season continues. You need to plant some later in the season if you want to harvest later ones. Before harvesting you don't have to wait till the stems brown off. You can scratch around the boundary of the expected tubers and gather early spuds if you want some for eating; don't damage the plant or remaining potatoes and these will continue growing. You only need to wait till the plants brown off if you intend storing the harvested crop.

Reply to
John Savage