Guatemalan Blue Banana Squash

I went out to the pumpkin patch yesterday to see what was developing and fo und that the Guatemalan Blue Banana Squash were ready to harvest, as the st ems to the fruit had withered and died. I'm in Maryland, U.S.A., just north of Baltimore, for growing region reference.

I found eleven in all: 2 gigantic, a bit over two feet long at 32 and 27 po unds; 2 extra large, which I would estimate at around 15-18 pounds each; an d 7 medium, estimated 8-10 pounds each. They're filling a rack in the basem ent where we keep the winter squash; I may have to build another rack when the cheese wheel pumpkins and blue hubbards are ready. I hope we like the t aste and texture; this is the first time we've grown this variety. Well, if we don't, our sheep appreciate a good squash in the middle of winter.

They grew in an old garden section, about 25' X 50', which had lain fallow for a couple of years. I tilled it this spring, digging in a lot of compost , and set out hills spaced 6' apart, planting various varieties. I kept up with the weeding as well as a man with a full-time job can do, but eventual ly the weeds sprang up with the squash vines down below. I'll be retired ne xt summer so I can take better care of the garden.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

You must be young Paul, when I was in my twenties and thirties I worked swing shift in a petrochemical plant, ran a gunsmith shop on my days off, plus we had a cow and calf, milk goats, pigs, rabbits, chickens, and ducks to care for. Not to mention roughly an acre of garden. Of course the wife and two kids did their share too. Now in our mid-seventies we don't do near as much work.

Sounds like you're doing what you like and that is what is important.

George, getting tired just thinking about all the work you're doing.

Reply to
George Shirley

[...]

I'm 68 and figure I have another 5 or 6 years of work left in me before I r etire to the rocker on the front porch.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314