Buttercup Squash

Songbird,
Thanks for recommending buttercup squash last winter. I planted a few this spring and we just had the first one for dinner last night. Very good, the
best squash we've had so far. It has a texture like custard, unlike some wi nter squash which are very fibrous. Dark orange flesh and great flavor.
We also planted Tokyo Blue, which we've never had before. Apparently they h ave a blue squash festival in Japan when these ripen. I'll post a review wh en we try some.
Paul
Pavel314 wrote:

y.w.! :) glad you liked them. we also grow some kabocha like squashes which have crossed with the buttercup, both hold up ok to the squash bugs/borers. that's why we grow them.

we like squash, so hope to hear it is a good one. :)
cheers, back to getting the tomatoes done we picked today...
songbird
Pavel314 wrote: ...

how were these?
songbird
On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 10:08:44 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:

ey have a blue squash festival in Japan when these ripen. I'll post a revie w when we try some.

The Tokyo Blue were very similar to the Buttercup in taste and texture. The main physical difference was the color of the skin, more of a blue-green t han true blue. Also, the Tokyo Blue seemed more spherical. The Buttercup pr oduced significantly more fruits per plant so we'll do those in the coming garden season as opposed to the Tokyo Blues.
Paul
Pavel314 wrote:

i hope it goes well! as usual i'm daydreaming this time of the year about what i want to do this coming planting season.
have you ever grown Red Kuri squash?
songbird
On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 2:49:52 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:

they have a blue squash festival in Japan when these ripen. I'll post a re view when we try some.

The main physical difference was the color of the skin, more of a blue-gre en than true blue. Also, the Tokyo Blue seemed more spherical. The Buttercu p produced significantly more fruits per plant so we'll do those in the com ing garden season as opposed to the Tokyo Blues.

Not yet but I told my wife about them and she ordered some seeds for this y ear.
Paul
Pavel314 wrote:

if i can find some seeds i'll give 'em a try.
songbird
On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 12:52:08 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:

I found some for sale on Amazon.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=KD2HD2N940NG0XBT16ND
Paul

Likewise. I got my seed order in the mail last week, and I'm itching to get started.
I'll be planting teh tomato seeds in 2-4 weeks.
--
Drew Lawson | Radioactive cats have