Buttercup Squash

Songbird,
Thanks for recommending buttercup squash last winter. I planted a few this
spring and we just had the first one for dinner last night. Very good, the
best squash we've had so far. It has a texture like custard, unlike some wi
nter squash which are very fibrous. Dark orange flesh and great flavor.
We also planted Tokyo Blue, which we've never had before. Apparently they h
ave a blue squash festival in Japan when these ripen. I'll post a review wh
en we try some.
Paul
Reply to
Pavel314
y.w.! :) glad you liked them. we also grow some kabocha like squashes which have crossed with the buttercup, both hold up ok to the squash bugs/borers. that's why we grow them.
we like squash, so hope to hear it is a good one. :)
cheers, back to getting the tomatoes done we picked today...
songbird
Reply to
songbird
ey have a blue squash festival in Japan when these ripen. I'll post a revie w when we try some.
The Tokyo Blue were very similar to the Buttercup in taste and texture. The main physical difference was the color of the skin, more of a blue-green t han true blue. Also, the Tokyo Blue seemed more spherical. The Buttercup pr oduced significantly more fruits per plant so we'll do those in the coming garden season as opposed to the Tokyo Blues.
Paul
Reply to
Pavel314
i hope it goes well! as usual i'm daydreaming this time of the year about what i want to do this coming planting season.
have you ever grown Red Kuri squash?
songbird
Reply to
songbird
they have a blue squash festival in Japan when these ripen. I'll post a re view when we try some.
The main physical difference was the color of the skin, more of a blue-gre en than true blue. Also, the Tokyo Blue seemed more spherical. The Buttercu p produced significantly more fruits per plant so we'll do those in the com ing garden season as opposed to the Tokyo Blues.
Not yet but I told my wife about them and she ordered some seeds for this y ear.
Paul
Reply to
Pavel314
In article songbird writes:
Likewise. I got my seed order in the mail last week, and I'm itching to get started.
I'll be planting teh tomato seeds in 2-4 weeks.
Reply to
Drew Lawson

Site Timeline Threads