Brussel Sprouts

My luck with Brussel Sprouts have seem to run out these last few years. The first few times I planted them they were wonderful - very tall stalks with lots of sprouts. The last few years have seen small stalks with few edible sprouts? Any suggestions? I live in Blaine, WA (perfect weather). No evidence of club root and they seem to thrive better in different parts of the garden. PH OK, nutrients seem to be OK - I'm stymied. Next year I will start seedlings earlier and plant out when bigger. Any other help much appreciated. Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark

Plants in the cabbage family need small amounts of boron in order to thrive. Work in some 20 mule team borax to the soil or add a teaspoon or so to the hole at planting time. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

I'm in the foothills of Mt. Rainier WA at 1440' / 439 mts and grow Brussels sprouts every year. I make my own seed starting mix which includes a bit of boron, and the sprouts do well. EXCEPT when I use elderly seed. The old seed germinates but the plants are not robust. My go-to favorite variety has been Oliver, now unavailable. The past two years I've grown Justus and they've done quite well. HTH

Reply to
Irene