Confusing Raspberries

I am a little confused about their behaviour and wondered if anybody could explain.

I bought a cane last year and planted it and found it started to grow in the Autumn/Winter when everything else was dying back. It yielded a few berries but this year nothing, if fact it never grew back until now and I can see a few shoot appearing from the soil. Is this normal raspberry behaviour?

Reply to
Grub

There are late Autumn bearing raspberries but if you are in the northern hemisphere then it shouldn't be putting out new growth jsut as your going into winter.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

My canes almost always put out a burst of growth in the fall. In fact, I really noticed it last weekend.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Mine seem to put out the forky runner canes late in the season which I then have to fling back onto the row or chop off.

Reply to
Davej