Giant Delphinium

Two years ago I planted some giant delphinium in a boarder together with gladiolas and lillies with the view that I should get a good mix of colour from May through to September. This worked well the first year and everything grew well albeit a bit thin.

Last year the delphinium grew very well with plenty of stalks however there was no sign of the gladiolas or lillies which only managed to to grow a few sparce leaves each.

My initial reaction was that the delphinium were starving the over plants of light / food. Given how well the delphinium grew last year I am a bit apprehesive to move them, has anybody any ideas as to how I can encourage the lillies and gladiolas or alternatively suggest something that will grow well with the delphinium?

Thanks

Reply to
barry16

You don't say where you are. From your email address It looks like you are somewhere in the Kingdom. Are you sure that gladiolas will overwinter there without the corms being dug up and stored where they wont freeze?

Reply to
Doug

Thanks for replying, I am in Belfast. I have gladiolas planted elsewhere in the garden which have fared better that those in the boarder with the delphinium which lead me to believe that the delphinium were overshadowing the other plants?

Reply to
barry16