Autumn Bliss Raspberries fruiting in June?!

A lot of fruit are ripening early this year. Texas Dewberries normally ripen the first part of May. They were well done by then this year.

My Mustang grapes normally ripen the first of August. This year, they were raisins by the first part of July.

Reply to
Omelet

I'm new to growing fruit this year and decided to buy some Autumn Blis

raspberry canes in January.

I planted them in great big pots in the winter and by June, they wer fruiting small amounts of raspberries. They look very healthy an happy etc

Not complaining in the slightest but I thought they weren't meant t fruit until August?

Do you think they were a wrongly labelled variety or have I just bee very lucky to get an early harvest?

I can see lots of new fruit forming on the tops of the plants now. Whereas the early fruit was all quite low down.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

-- Lizziebeth

Reply to
Lizziebeth

We have 2 types of raspberries on our backyard. one type fruit in the summer ~July (red fruit) and the other fruits twice once in July and once in ~September (golden fruit).maybe yours will fruit twice also. i have no idea what type of raspberries I have.

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Typical raspberries have a pattern of growth like this:

Year 1: cane starts growing Year 2: cane fruits in early summer, then dies

In autumn bearers, you get this:

Year 1: cane starts growing and fruits at the top in late summer Year 2: cane fruits in early summer, then dies

Sometimes people growing autumn bearers cut all canes down during the winter and only get the late summer/autumn crop.

Your "early" fruits came on last year's canes.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Thanks a lot for your responses everyone. That makes sense, Pat.

The new fruit looks almost ready to ripen I'm looking forward to th "true" autumn crop now.

I've only grown veggies before so it has been a real delight this yea and I love it that you get fruit year after year from same plants.

Do you guys grow any other kinds fruit? I have a border that doesn' get full sun but may 3-4 hours of sunlight a day and I've heard tha some kinds of fruit don't mind some shade

-- Lizziebeth

Reply to
Lizziebeth

Due to the gardening conditions this year and bearing in mind the plant

were only newly planted i at the back end of last year it could be on of two either the weather conditions brought the fruit early if larg bushes/canes planted , however if not mature plants then it coul actually be the wrong variety.

kathryn

'Omelet[_4_ Wrote:

-- Kathryn Selfe

Reply to